Why are you calling me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shawns Lawns, May 21, 2006.

1. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I know i advertise lawn care, i do not advertise lawn neglect! Pita's obviously do not want a Lawn Care Provider. I try to begin cutting on a regular basis the first week of May and end cutting about the last week of October. That's about 26 weeks. For some reason people think that grass does not grow till June, if they have to pay for it to be cut. Also they think that the grass does not grow during July and August and it definitely stops growing by the end of September. So out of the 26 weeks we are now down to 14 weeks where customers think grass grows so now they want you to go biweekly so they only want to pay for 7 cuts for the year. So my question was why are you calling for a Lawn Care Provider when that is not what you want? I think what they are looking for is a SUCKER! Someone who will make their property look like the Breakers in Rhode Island but want a the cost to be like a Happy Meal. :dizzy:

2. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have three people starting june 1, lol. BASTADS!!!

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Screw em all....I don't return phone calls like that

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not one to be the ultra hard a$$ cutter, but I try to stay away from the bigger pita's. It's not worth it to deal with them. I have a simple contract that states price, cutting frequency, who decides if it needs cut (me), billing, fee's and I explain when I sign them on we cut every 5 days in spring, 7 days after the heavy growth and if we get a drought situation it's moved to 10 days (I found that mowing every 10 days alittle higher keeps the grass greener and growing, last year I didn't miss a cut in the hot months).

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i would rather sell my biz then deal with them... unless you can charge them triple what you'd normally charge...

6. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

After i tell them no i do not deal with them any longer. :waving:

7. Shawns Lawns

from Maine

Had one tell me today that the grass only needs cutting 5 times a year. So i told him that lt looks like he will have a most enjoyable stress free summer. :waving:

8. I mow on the same schedule as kc2006.

Every 5 days in the spring then every seven, maybe 10 if ti's hot. But like him, I decide when it gets cut.

I did push the schedule up a little to have everyone done by Memorial day, except for one little ole lady. I just forgot to put her on the list. She's no PITA, but she is a friend of a PITA I'd just dropped.

I know you have to get the real PITA's out of your life but I may have overdone it.

9. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

They know that if the city has it mowed once a month, it'll cost $150.00 a month, plus a fine so they look for some desperate LCO to do it for $45.00 a month.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That or I charge $5 extra to keep this on my schedule and the yard had best consist mostly of some kind of green, don't care if it's weeds but if it's mostly dirt, forget it! On the other hand, they pay a premium rate just like my top-of-the-barrel customers but since they don't care, they get the basic service and that makes up for the fact they fill a slot on the schedule for 7 cuts / year.

And no, grass really does not grow much during July-August, matter of fact, it's already slowed down considerably and it's not just the lack of rain, this is the normal growth trend of grass.

Unfortunately, there simply does not appear to be enough class-B+ turf customers out there for me, but in a perfect world, that would be all I would service. In the meantime, the average lawn and their customers tend to be less picky and pleasant to get along with, the only ones that frustrate me are the OMG I don't want to spend an extra dime in the next 100 years kind and it is obvious absolutely nothing has been done to their lawn in at least 5 if not 10-15 years, so to speak.

I don't got a problem with average lawns where the owners simply don't want to spend thousands.