1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are you here?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coif_kid, Apr 18, 2008.

1. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I've read so many threads and I want to address the lowballing. Everyone now must realize that they are in a low skill industry. As well, they must recognize that the advantage is for the solo, with way lower over head who can out bid the larger companies. Why are people entering this business. Furthermore, industry trends will increase the amount of competition in this indursty further.

I'm in University and sure it's good money now, but in the long term it's hard sludging. Why would you ever enter this field? I look forward to the responses.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

i work my own hours , need 2 be off at 4 i am done for the day ..............need 2 start at 10 i start at 10 need 2 go fishing i go fishing ........you get it ................
  3. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Ok I understand that self-employment gives you control over hours, income and freedom.

But.... it gives you greater taxes, more stress and risk. But fair enough... if you want to be self employed, why not go to a better industry than this.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I love the smell of mowed grass and fresh mulch , the outdoors , the birds in the trees .
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I like being able to set my own hours. I enjoy this type of work. I like working outside as well. but... the real reason I'm a landscaper..........

My names on the waiting list for Harvard law school. lol j/k
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Freedom to be your own boss. Work when you want to. Spend more time with my wife and kids. We pay just the same in taxes as my old going nowhere old job. I take off 2 months in the winter,this businees makes us money ! The advantage is not for the solo when it comes to bidding on larger accounts , it may take a solo 2 & 1/2 hours for a large complex he'd have to bid higher. A 3 man crew could knock out in 1 hour.Solo do tend to have higher percentage profit margins. This is a skilled profession. Most Commercial clients wont touch you if your unisured.Yes the competion is getting tougher,but the low ballers dont hang around long. Ipick up 10 new account every late summer due to college kids going back to school,thks kids ! There always under the mat low bidding kids who have no clue on what to bid. Oh and last ..Lawncare and Lanscaping is a multi-million dollar industry,people are making good money ! If they werent they'd get out .
  7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Same reasons as J.A.G. Theres not really more taxes if set up correctly, and more potential to earn more with less tax (S Corp). The green industry is growing at a rapid rate, many industries have done this in the past. It will eventually reach a plateau, but many homeowners are going with more and more services and will continue to do so until the economy collapses. When that happens this isn't the only industry that will suffer, they all will. Those who are able to adapt and persevere will have a huge leg up when it rebounds. For us mowing doesn't make much money, but it is a great foot in the door for bigger landscape projects, which many homeowners are opting to have done also. It's not the most glamorous career, but I can think of many worse (anything indoors), but if your serious about your business, it can be very rewarding.
  8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, I have a bacholer's degree in Health Systems Management, and associate degree in applied science radiogarphy. I quite my full time healthcare job, that was more stressfull than any challange the green industry has thrown at me to date. Regardless of the "perception of the green industry" I have many high end clients who appreciate my service; because I choose to invest in quality equipment, and many curious folks first question is "I cannot afford your service" I love that response. i'm not cheap! In the southern United States the greend industry is "big" businesss. Their was a harvard gradute on the food network who started her own bakery; why would a harvard gradute do that, inner peace of mind, and control of your own destiny. Sweat equity is what it's about for me.
  9. Heartland Lawn

Heartland Lawn LawnSite Member

Just watch the movie Office Space and that should answer your question. And when a solo can go out and rope in over $1000 in 2 days of mowing, it puts a smile on your face.
  10. GrasMstr

GrasMstr LawnSite Member

Tool and Die Maker for over 20 years. Owned my own 50 man shop.:dizzy:
    Fresh air, sun, freedom, coach hockey in winter. What a life.:canadaflag::cool2: