1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why are you kids so Scared of a few leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You've been cutting an account all year...mabe 20-30 cuts by now...some easy cuts in the Summer...some harder in the Spring. Now you pull up & the leaves have started to drop & there's a few leaves on the lawn...You're Floored...& you start to Sweat!

All of a Sudden World War 3 Starts in Your Head and you bang on the customers door demanding extra money every week...

If I were the customer I'd Tell you to Pound Salt & come back when all the leaves are down for 1 Big Clean-up or cut it weekly @ the price of weekly Cuts....Not my fault...as a customer...you can't deal efficiently w/leaves.
    JB1 and Avery like this.
  2. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I'm 16 and I don't get all nervous about leaves. I don't charge people any extra just to cut them. I only charge extra when it comes time to bag them.

And of cousre when I do their final cleanup that is extra to, and I rarely have any problems with my customers with this method.

proenterprises likes this.
  3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Not that I'm sweating, but what do you do Mr Smarty Pants?
    proenterprises likes this.
  4. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

It is stated in my proposal that in the fall I charge for excessive leaf pick up. I do not gouge them and they know they can trust me to be fair.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We grossed an extra $ 400.00 on top of regular mowing today for leaf cleanups before mowing.I'm not sweating, and I'm not your kid... :cool:
    fga likes this.
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto that.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

another one willing to work for free. thank you mr fareway for screwing me and my family. grass is grass, and leaves are leaves, there is no similarity between the two. i wonder if i order french fries at a resturaunt, they will throw a half dozen shrimp on my plate at no extra charge just to "keep me happy". you must be making a ton of money to be willing to give away a free service. i have properties right now, that are so covered in oak leaves and fallen limbs every single week, that it's at least an additional hour over the grasscutting time to get these places in shape. i guess i should just charge the grasscutting fee?
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

bobby is right, grass is grass and leaves are leaves. you must charge accordingly for each service. a few leaves, yeah sure just grind them up. a blanket of leaves....extra money please?

are you an idiot? how have you managed so stay in business (if you can call it that) if you keep going every week without charging more and just run the leaves over, the place must look like ****, and i bet your spending more time at each place just to deal with the hassle. us others dont sweat leaves, their simply is no reason to, because we charge for them and make money off the extra service.
  9. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

But in another post you said "excellent, that's all i can say. most properties don't require a catcher,cus the meg mo's turn the leaves to dust."

Which is it ? :dizzy:
  10. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I am not at all scared of leaves either. I would however be scared of doing clean-ups for free. That is why I dont pick them up unless it is a full service client that requests fall clean-up service. So you are cutting these lawns covered in leaves for free? Wow, That's SCARY. Me personally I stop grass cutting around Oct 31st then it is full fledged clean-ups.
    And unlike Fairway I charge for this service.