Why aren't Standers and Surfers more popular?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Dec 4, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I've used Great Danes and Wrights Stander and the truth is they are both awesome. They blow walkbehind's away. Yet still WB's everywhere and not many standers Why?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hills,Low trees, Low bushes.
    John

3. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

For my own personaly opinion i have a lot of hills that are very steep. I run a 36metro walk and a 48metro walk (w velky) Buying a stander or rider hasn't even crossed my mind.

Now it would work if a majority of properties were completely flat. And even then if there is a steper grade then the mower can handle then you still have to head back to the truck and grab the walk.

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I believe the main reason they will never be big sellers, is cost. Heck, you can buy a nice sit-down ZTR for the same price, or less, than a comparable stand-up machine. Why stand all day, when you can sit down.
    Where is the market for these things? I just do not see it. Ok, they are supposed to handle hills better than a ZTR, but give me another reason for buying one. I really want to know the reason someone would buy a stand-up machine, because I sure can not figure it out.

5. John Gamba

from ct

Small tight props.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

John. There are unmerous small ZTr's that will do those kind of properties, and they are no more expensive than the stand-up machines. Stand-up machines leave a huge area to trim in 90 degree corners. A small front-deck machine will actually do a better job on tight areas with inside corners to trim out, than either a stander or a midmount ZTR.
    You have not convinced me, give me another reason.

7. John Gamba

from ct

The stand ons are 55 to 60" long. They do turn on a dime But i to like a good sulky and walk behind. Mid-mounts dont go under things ether, Walk behinds do.

Some areas like Florida are good locations for the Stand -on type of mower.

John

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Reason to use Standers:
    1. visibility of work area
    2. ease getting on and off (safer fast exit than a sit down mower)
    3. speed compared to walk behind
    4. I can easily get under low branches by squating and looking off to the side
    5. takes up less trailer space
    6. stability due to low center of gravity
    7. I have not found a walk behind that I liked the controls on a Hydro

I think it comes down to personal preference......like anything else....... But if you have never used one long enough to reach good productivity then I don't think you can really understand the allure....

Derek

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I did briefly consider a stander when searching for the best main mower for my small biz. I know of one guy in town that uses a great dane, so I have seen one in action and even drove it a bit.

Reasons I went with a (hustler super) walkbehind and stand-up sulky instead:
    Better controls,
    better cut/discharge,
    larger tires = smoother ride,
    more power,
    better dealer
    easier hight adjustment
    better visibility
    better reach (under things)
    option of walking on slopes or on soft ground.

Most of these are also the reason I picked my mower over a ZTR.
    Some of these reasons will only apply to a hustler super walkbehind though.

But that said, I wish hustler would come out with a stander of there own with the h-bar controls or at least start building the shortcut again.

10. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

There are actually alot of guys in this area that run the Wright Stander. I think they would be great for small to medium sized lawns. But for larger lawns forget it. You might as well get a ZTR for around the same price. That is one thing that drove me away from them. The price. They are everywhere here though.