Why bash Great Dane Super Surfer so much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Mar 17, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've owned Great Dane and Wright standers. I think they are both great. IMO the Dane has the clear advantage floating deck and spring loaded operator platform (very comfortable). The Wright has a slight advantage on hills but not much. So why do guys attack Dane Surfers as if they took your prom date from you? I did a search and a few guys in particular trash this machine hard. Why? they are both good units. P.S. I think the Deere Quik track is even better (7 Iron deck and one lever to change cutting height from the operator platform). Why so much venom?

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm one who "trashes them hard". I do because it's my opinion. I've used both and the Wright Stander is far better. Your opinion is different, but that's fine. One reason is because the Super Surfer won't go all the places the Wrights will. To me that makes the Super Surfer inferior. The things you listed as clear advantages I don't see where they out weigh the Wrights advantages. However, that doesn't mean I'm right and you're wrong, just a difference of opinion and preferences in your equipment...:waving:

3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

When I'm in the area I'll take a pic of a hill I mow with a GD 61" surfer, It's so steep that the mower barely has enough power when I get to the top. Going horizontal although I agree, not so good, I've gotten into some pretty good slides if the grass is a little wet.

4. cwmiller928

cwmiller928 LawnSite Member

The new wright stander is far better than the great dane or the deere quick track. The new wright has the rapid height adjustment. Its a great machine. far better than those other imitations (great dane and john deere)

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

How much is a wright compared to a dane? I just got a 61" for around $5600, new.

6. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

The new Wright Stander with "rapid height adjust" is a piece of crap in my opinion. The battery is on the platform between your feet! Not much room to move around, very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. Even though it is a easy height adjust it still is not a floating deck. This unit is basically the old Sentar Sport that didn't sell converted into a Stander. Wright builds decent products but the design and engineering leaves a lot to be desired!

I'll take my Great Dane Super Surfers any day. Great cut and the easy to adjust floating deck makes a huge difference!

Opinions do vary....much like a Ford Chevy debate I guess....to each his own.

7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand why Wright put the battery between your feet and why not just give the RH Stander a floating deck. Maybe Dane got those patents in their court settlement. Too bad they can't work together and make the perfect "Surfer/Stander".

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I absolutely hate the Sentar, however. I will bash that all day, too. So I'm not bias to Wright. I just think the Stander is a great piece of equipment. :clapping: