Why Big Mowers???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Midnight_Sun, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Midnight_Sun

Midnight_Sun LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Hi I've been reading in this forum for several months now, and finally decided to join. Im just introducing myself, seeing if this works, and asking my first question.

So my question is why do some of you guys use the buy 36 or 48 w/b for $10,000+ when you could buy 2 comercial 24 w/b's for under $1,000 and hire one other person to help you? Wouldnt it get done just as fast?

Thanks for answers, and im glad to be part of this forum.
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

A lot of times the cut quality on the bigger mowers is better with the wheels not causing lines of bent grass which will stand up leaving uncut grass. I have a 21'' wb and have seen the 26'' metro, but who makes a 24''er?
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

First off all.. where are you going to find a walkbehind for 10,000?? Thats unheard of. Are you saying to buy a 24 inch mower for less than a thousand? What happens when you have to mow a 3 acre field? youll be there twice as long with your partner and your 24 inch mower. Think about it. If you buy a ztr youll be done in 1/3 of the time. - Peter
  4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

is this a joke?
  5. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know of any 36" or 48" walkbehinds that cost ten grand, most are between $2500- $5000. Second I have never heard of a 24" wb either...unless you are talking about a push mower that is 22". That also takes six times as long to cut a yard....

Lets say you have a yard that you are charging the customer $50 to cut, you are paying your employee $8 a hour, and it takes yall two and a half hours to cut it. So you owe your guy $20, and you make $30 gross profit. Which comes out to almost what you are paying your employee.

Now the same yard takes someone with a 48" Turf Tracer, 50 minutes to cut, so you are making a dollar a minute by yourself...

I like option #2....

You are also talking about dependbility, ruggedness, cut quality...etc etc etc.

How many times are you going to have to replace your $1000 wb because it is a piece of junk?

Like anything in life you get what you are paying for..
  6. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Unless he is really confused. Maybe we need to help him out cuz its sounds like he could get ripped off badly by a dealer. Just my thought.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

1) He is just a 17 year old kid so he doesn't know any better I'm sure

2) I'd bet the farm he is also "playing" for some reason cause he said this is his first post BUT I very much remember reading the exact same quote and also in bold on another kids signature that post on here....just don't remember his screen name cause I put very little stock in teenagers post.
  8. Midnight_Sun

Midnight_Sun LawnSite Member
    from Utah

-So the bigger mowers provide a higher quality cut right, and do not cost as much as I said?

But Maybe I didn't make my question too clear.

1) If you buy 2 21"s that would cut 42 inches right? which is nearly as much as a big 48" w/b.
    2) So it would get cut almost as fast right?
    3) So if you could cut almost as fast and save money (see below) would it be better to get 1 big 48" or 2 smaller 21"s?

You would have to pay an employee to help you and not be a solo, but is that worth saving $3,000 on your mower. I have been using the same comercial 21" for over 6 years on my own house, so they do last.

Thanks- just trying to make it more clear.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I'm beginning to think you don't value the advise of our young under age businessmen :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  10. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

:qoute: "You would have to pay an employee to help you and not be a solo, but is that worth saving $3,000 on your mower. "

ask urself again is saving $3,000 but having a helper help you worth it....

lets see the expense of keeping an helper on the crew is @ least $7.25 an hr. so $7.25 X 40 hrs.= $290 a week.... now most LCO have btwn 28-32 cut seasons.... $290 X 30weeks= $8,700..... 30 weeks/ 4weeks (month)= 7.5 months for grass cutting.... now to keep that employee on the crew yearly would be 52 weeks X $290= $15,121 a year....

now most good employees make at least $10 an hr. so thats $20,800 a year....
    but you were able to save $3,000 on an mower, but have an expense of $20k + an year for the helper, so thats turns out to $17k troubles afters the mower savings! wow... your an rocket scientist... :dizzy: