1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Why businesses succeed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billc, Mar 1, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great posts on "Why businesses fail."

Now for the flip side - as someone starting up I need to know "Why businesses SUCCEED!"

OTOH, these businesses don't do the things that cause failure - too much debt, taking on unprofitable jobs, too big, too soon, etc.

But, other than avoiding these, what do you do to promote success?

Thanks!!

2. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

They have a huge amount of startup cash. And never have to repay it.

3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

You know, i hate the "too big too fast" thing. I am trying to go bigger this year and i keep hearing that. Our season is just on the verge of getting started. Its like telling a train not to go too fast and it hasnt even left the terminal yet. lol

anyone ever grown too big too fast?

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

#1 is QUALITY, #2 is ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE. They cant call you if they dont know you exist!! #3 is be prepared for the work that will come in. I know that its very easy to become overwhelmed with phone calls in the spring.

5. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Treat everybody right. Whether it's Uncle Sam, your employee,your client, your spouse or yourself, make sure everyone gets treated right, promises are kept and bills are paid. If you are new you will probably have to work harder, and charge more for your work, than you imagined possible in order to do this.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Bill,

Did you ever read this book?

"The E-Myth Contractor : Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber (Author)"

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Systems, goal setting and planning.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Listen to Gopher. They know of what they speak, and those E-myth books are great!

:D

9. billc

billc LawnSite Member

I'm waiting for this and "The E-Myth" from amazon.com.

I'm a reader - any other book recommendations?

10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

literally any marketing book you can get your hands on. Sales books are good too. Live near a college? go there at the end of the semester and buy the books back with a couple cases... id recomend a few accounting and marketing, if you can stay awake through them.