Why buy 3/4 ton when you could get 1 ton

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by brentsawyer, Feb 9, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, hopefully some of you can shead some light on the subject for me but I don't understand why sooooo many landcapers buy 3/4 trucks when you could buy twice the truck for just a little more. It seems that they (3/4er's) out # 1-tons by 2-1. Just dosn't make a whole lot of sense, I'd rather have the payload and versatility of being able to have a 1-ton with a flatbed and 5000+ payload vs 3000lb payload. And no, I don't think I'm the only one who loads these up all the way, or has a need to.

PS Please don't tell me its a matter of choice, that dosen't add up either.
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

AGREED! i never will go less again.

here you see a fair number of half tons as well. pulling trailers...i made the mistake of buying a half ton. they just weren't made to work all that hard. we have to baby it.

but our 2500 HD never flinches.

go one ton and sleep well knowing you have the capability. snowplowing, sod, soil, trailers, that all requires some guts.

i like the look of the SRW rams...
  3. brentsawyer

OK, but why get SRW when DRW adds 1,000lbs payload for $1,000 more. Thats another one that gets me even worse, no offense. Personally, I don't care much for looks when it comes to worktrucks, they're not for looking good, maybe looking tough, but definitely not for good looks.

PS I made the same mistake and bought a 1/2 ton but upon shopping for a newer truck, I wanted to make sure that in another year and half I would not be doing the same so it is a one ton. I will be keeping the 1/2 for doing maintenance, it will probably be used as a backup when needed and will have the 16' open trailer w/ 1 each Z and WB. That's all its really cut out to do and then some. Add to that it (1/2) ton being gas, its more expensive to drive with any weight added, empty they are about the same. Personally, I think that if all a 1/2 ton is going to do is pull a trailer like that w/ one or two mowers, it is really all you need and does just fine, but loading her up is definitely a different story and 2,000 payload does't go, so I have painfully figured.
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

never bought a dully cause of personal uses, but next truck would be a dedicated work truck so dually with a dump bed the likely choice...

but one thing is we plow residential, two car drives with backdragging...dually can be tough to maneouver in that situation.

by looks i didn't mean actaul look but the truck overall i think is quite impressive (and thats from a chevy guy)

i do agree the premium from 1500 to 2500 to 3500 to dually should never be a factor because you will make the extra $ back tenfold within a year...plus warrenty coverage...
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have had two 1 ton duallys, still have one, and it is for sale. I like the 3/4 ton trucks better. The reason is COMFORT. Both of the 1 tons I have had ride rough as all get out. My back is about shot after beating around over rough streets and roads all day. The only time they ride good is with a big load on them. Since I haul everything on the trailer, I rarely need the load capacity of a 1 ton and thus suffer through day after day of rough ride.
    The 3/4 ton diesels pull my 18' trailers just fine, so as soon as I get this last 1 ton sold, I am getting another 3/4 ton diesel pickup.
    Anyone looking for a real clean diesel 1 ton flatbed, cheap?:D
  6. brentsawyer

COMFORT, makes good sense mowingman. I have about as close to a full range of trucks as one needs come this mid-week. Compact Nissan for sending someone to pick up something forgotten or just general dust collecting, 1/2 ton for maintenance, then 1 ton for landscape cons. and will be using for leaves this upcoming fall. I think that I can live with that lineup for a while. Just don't know if the neighbors can deal with 3 trucks and one sedan parked in the 4-car driveway with garage and 8' privacy fence for addl storage. Starting to look like the Clampets around here, I guess I'll need to do a check on local zoning laws, everything is still a personal use truck since they are still considered light duty.
  7. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We have all sizes of trucks for different purposes, but overall, the work truck of choice is the one ton. Over the last 30 years, we have progressed from the half ton to the 3\4 ton and now to the one ton. The only 3\4 ton left is for the plow.

Austreim Landscaping
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I was only looking at Chevy's and since the 3500's only come with dually's I bought the 2500HD. I've been told they basically took the place of the 3500 SRW but I don't really care. I don't do landscaping, I mow 95% of the time. This truck has plenty of power to tow 7000lbs worth of enclosed trailer behind it. Last thing I need is to get worse mileage and have to buy 2 more tires every couple of years.
  9. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Around my area I see alot of folk w/ half ton trucks hauling around big(16ft or bigger) trailers and just have to laugh at them. What they are forgeting is most anything will pull a trailer but you had better have a little more than a half ton truck to stop that "BIG" trailer around here. Virginia Beach has alot of stop and go traffic and plays heck on brakes, so thats why I wouldnt buy any truck less than 3/4 ton. JUST MY 2 CENTS
  10. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

im in the market mowingman!!! is it a 4x4? but i will say i've only used 1/2 tons so far they've done alright. a 85 chevy with the 305 has made it 7 years of work for the company. thats 7 summers of pulling a 16 footer with two grass hoppers and 7 winters one which was over 117" of snow plowing. ton'er is in the cards.