1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

why can't belt drive wb use double swivel sulky's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjvillelawn, Oct 11, 2008.

1. bigjvillelawn

bigjvillelawn LawnSite Member

why can't belt drive wb use double swivel sulky's? on most of the sites I see where they sell double wheel sulkys I see that they don't want people to use them on belt drives. This doesn't make sense to me the only thing I could think of is maybe the turn could be too fast and throw the rider. But having many hours on a wb belt driven, I'm pretty good at controling my turns and all on a sulky. what do you guys think? Anybody use one on a belt wb?

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

you can use one..I have.

3. Weedas_Lawn_Care

Weedas_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member

i have a one wheel on both of mine and i want a 2 wheel one i dont see a prob. with it who cares adn throwing the rider thats what the safety features are for to kill the motor when the rider falls off :laugh::laugh::laugh:

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I have owned 3 belt drives. Ran double and single wheeled sulkies on all of them. No excessive belt wear, no hazards... no reason NOT to use one.

5. bigjvillelawn

02DURAMAX i have a 2 wheel sulky and it works fine but it needs to be replaced. what brand swivel wheel sulky do you have.

6. bakerc8

bakerc8 LawnSite Member

people are stupid

7. bigjvillelawn

If your talking about me being stupid, I'm not asking if it's ok to use a double wheel sulky. The question is can a double swivel wheel sulky be used with a belt drive WB. I have all ways used reg sulky's.

8. bigjvillelawn

here is a example of what I'm talking about.

bb1d_1.JPG

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

For what it's worth, I built one of these myself, and my 36" Toro couldn't handle it at all. The inertia in the turns couldn't be overcome. Lots of burnouts, inability to make sharp turns at anything faster than a crawl...

10. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I use a Turf Rider double swivle on both a Gravely 50 and a Toro 44. No problems.

I do like the Jungle Wheels more, though, because when you turn/turn around with a swivel, your weight momentum can make you overcorrect. Same thing on hills.

But no, I've never had a problem with it on a belt drive.