Why cant Stihl make 2-Cycle equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by banjoman, Sep 19, 2012.

1. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i bought a fleet of husky trimmers but am having problems with the lousey zamma carbs now. r martins story about the epa makes sence. hopefully teir 2 will stay in place for a long time.

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I just plain dont want to deal with valves... I know it's probably "easy" to do, but its 30 minutes for each trimmer and blower that just isn't their with the 2 strokes
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I had the link to the article that I was talking about in our computer, but we recently switched computers and apparently not everything got transfered over to this one, so I can't post it right now. I have posted it here in the past though, and it doesn't quite match what you just posted. Yes, there was more to the entire article- by a long shot, but what I posted was the gist of it.

For one thing, the 4 mix engines were developed long before the regs in your link to the epa were developed and to go into affect (2011 & 2012).

Stihl didn't just get screwed plain and simple. They had already invested quite a bit of time and money in R&D, believed that it was only going to keep getting worse and worse, so they went for it and it bit them in the butt in the end. It (the article) also explains why they shelved 100K new RM engines instead of going ahead and using them while they still coud before the new regs they thought were coming down the road went into place. They certainly had time enough (in terms of actual years between when they bought the engines up until 2011) to sell them all.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Since I really do not really care for the new twice bangers, I am pretty sure I am going to give the FS100RX's a try. 1.4 hp at that weight sounds like the good ole days (even though they are four bangers)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. If not for the EPA telling the manufacturers that they were going to tighten up the exhaust regs on handheld equipment, Stihl and Shindaiwa would never have "wasted" all of that money on R&D for 4 strokes. Shindaiwa was the company that really took it on the chin. They're now a part of Echo who is part of Kioritz.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

At least Shindiawa was smart enough to leave their big 2 stroke BP's and alot of other handhelds in the lineup until they saw what would really happen. That's another place Stihl screwed themselves.

The EPA may have been started as a well intentioned idea, but they are hurting just about every industry out there, and badly. I imagine that if you could round up all the R&D money, payroll for the engineers,and payoffs taking place under the table, you could make a sizeable dent in the national debt. One thing for sure, it's more than I made this year LOL

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

you wanted to hear from us so here's my response.

in my opinion stihl is the BEST handheld company out there. I like them so well that if I couldn't get stihl I'd close up shop.

I've never had problems with there 2 cycle or 4 mix equipment.

forget echo, redmax, shindy, etc.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

But one pull starting on the 4 strokes and mor hours of run time on a tank of fuel...just isn't there in a two stroke.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It's about 5 minutes per motor once you do one and it only has to be done once.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

For those thinking that 30 minutes to adjust the valves for the life of the trimmer, how many times each year do you grease the gearbox?