why cant you net over 100k solo? is my math wrong?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by georgialawn88, Jul 1, 2013.

1. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't suspect it did either - but the original post was based upon what he heard other guys talk about. No real fact to answer the original question what is missing is facts. No list of equipment, no pay back on the equipment and net is way different from gross. So are we talking no cost equipment and the only expense he has is materials.
    Over the years I have been involved in running, and building multi million dollars businesses and always get a kick of people who want answers based on but so and so said. That is what business and marketing plans are all about.

2. ralph02813

Just so you know my 36 ferris is about the biggest and heaviest thing I can use on the soft ground most of my customers have.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok wasn't sure

I know from last year drought my net was half

Weather will play a roll in your trip to 100k

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Ok
    You ever thought a wider mower with wider tires might have same ground pressure as your 36

5. ralph02813

My mower weight 375 without fuel or grass catcher (which I use sparingly when there is no other way around garden beds). If I remember correctly if I stick with a ferris at 48 inches I almost double the weight most other mfg are pretty close or heavier.
    As it is now on most properties, I can not cut the same path more than once, so each week I overlap and or change cut direction.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Your 36'' has skinny tires A 48'' might be heavier but they have wider tires

The wider the tire is there is less ground pressure where the tire sits

But a 48'' wont work where you mow then I guess your stuck with a 36'' mower

7. ralph02813

There is 7/8" difference in the tires I am not sure that would distribute the extra 300 pounds (375 versus 675) any better - besides, some of my better customers have come from guys using bigger and heavier mowers - as I said for the most part, I am on soft ground and of course there is the extra $2,500 to $3,000 which has to be taken into account, then I would half to buy a trailer and always carry one of my 21" with me to get in the tight places.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

You are a small time guy Good luck to you

9. ralph02813

Thanks, actually I am just a right size guy for me, I have found my balance and I am happy!

10. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I am part time also. Doing 30 yards in one day (part time) is great. But can you do it EVERY DAY-can your body handle it? I fertilize part time and when I work 4 days in a row, I'm BEAT.

Does your 30 yards a day include getting fertilizer?

It will be hard to max out at 660 yards, because you will need time for maintenance (truck and machines). You will lose customers to moving, death, switching companies, etc. You will need time to go on referrals to look at new business.