Why did John Deere stop building JX 75 and 85 21"s?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Apr 16, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a JX 75 at a Estate sale for $150 yesterday. It had less than one season of home owner use. Talk about a survivor. This mower is probably more than 10 years old but almost zero time on it. It works wonderfully. Another LCO that is a friend of mine runs nothing but these and he offered me $400 for it, but after using it on a few yards I'm going to keep it. John Deere built one good mower back in the 90's and now builds nothing but junk. What were they thinking?

2. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a jx 75 thats was giving to me last season from a friend who had it for 2 years and never used it. man i love that little mower, i would buy another one in a heart beat. the only thing i dont like about them is they are just a little to slow, but not bad either

3. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I use a John Deere that my dad purchased new in 1985. It usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. I thought it had finally given up and it was time to get a new one because it would shut off after about 20 minutes of use while I was mowing. Turns out that it was just a bad gas cap and it is still going strong.

Briggs engine, BTW.

4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I have an older 14SB John Deere 21, and man that thing runs! It's got a 4.5 KAWI and I think it's just never gonna die! We've had it since I've been like 8. And now it's my commercial 21. Nothing ever goes wrong with it.

5. akvadam

akvadam LawnSite Member

Seems to me that sometimes, they know they made to good of a machine and theres no money in that. hehe

6. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

I still have a 14SB from 1990. It used to mow my 1 acre city lot twice a week in those days. Now it is a trim mower for my property and sees a couple hours of use per week. Starts on first or second pull, even after winter storage. It's finally wearing out though, but the engine is a champ.

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Move your throttle up by taking loss two small bolts - push it up or back not sure and you'll speed the mower up real fast.

I have ran 14sb's to jx75 and bought 6 new ones last year. I will take the old any day over the new. After this bunch - I will be looking else where for a good 21.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

these are the best 21 mowers ever made -and i have used them all in 35 yrs of mowing. lucky me -i have a 85,14sc(favorite) 14sb and 2 jx75 running now and a ton of spare parts. there is no such thing as the perfect 21 but these come close

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

J.D. quite building the commercial-rated JX85, due to the high amount of warranty claims. They were great mowers, but in commercial use, the trans. and blade clutch would not last a full season. Warranty costs were more than the profits. So, they quite building the JX85. Not sure why the JX75 went away.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have a customer who works for the Deere corporate office here in Cary. The JX-75 is not exactly something Deere has been overly proud of. And that says a lot since we all know how proud they are of that green paint.:laugh:

They've been manufacturing JX-75s for ten years now. The casting machines they use to form the decks for the JX-75s are about worn out and need to be replaced. Of course, these machines are several hundred thousand dollars. Instead of ten more years of JX-75s, Deere decided to drop the line and are hoping to come out with an all new commercial 21" late this year. I wouldn't bet on anything before next year, though.

I actually have a JX-75 and have been pleased. Good cut and wonderful motor. But everyday I wonder if those plastic pieces in the drivetrain will give out that day. Who in the world came up with an idea of those type of parts in a commercial mower?:hammerhead: