1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why did my Dog do a better job?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by thomsoutdoor, Jan 10, 2007.

1. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

I was afraid to ask this at first but I can't figure out where I went wrong.
    Now that winter has set in my yard has turned a lighter green/brown which is typical. However where my dog usually relieves herself it is a nicer darker green. Basically,I did four applications two pre-emrg in spring, one in august and last one November. With the four applications I put down a total of 4 lbs of N/1000sqft. I put down an additional 1 lb of N in December to see if that would make a difference. It did make a slight difference. 5 lb of N/1000 is the max aloud by MDA. I also added iron in the fall applications. My soil analysis has my ph at 7.8. I am slowly adding sulfur to correct that problem.
    Fortunately this is my problem and not with my customers. Any suggestions? thanks
  2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got giant Hostas and Sedums thanks to my two dogs. They like those beds.
  3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

They can also burn the plants.
  4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

The dogs urine has some of the N in Ammonium Form which is an availble form for plant uptake....thus the quick green. The fert you are using sounds to be urea based which is not available as N to plants until converted by soil bacteria when soil temps are above 40F.

As many will tell you here, let the grass go dormant now. Next season if you want to go green later into the fall, apply fall apps mid Aug and one month later. Then your Late season dormant fert in Late November for the next spring.

Pete D.
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

The dog applied 16-4-5 at a pretty heavy rate. Works good huh?
  6. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

LOL as soon as i read the headline i luaghed! i hear ya.i have three dogs and they have dog visitors all year in a fenced half acre, half woods and «halfgrass
  7. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

im going to ask the same ? everyone else ask's on this site.does the dog have her app license? ha ha ha ha
  8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I think the application was legal as long as she was not aiming at any pest. The real question is did she eat Lesco or Scott's dog food.
  9. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually I am making a mount on my Perma Green Magna where she would sit. I found if she drinks a six pack of light beer she can cover over 30,000 sqft. She has to work on her capacity. Calibration is also a problem. Might post on the organic sight to see if they have any ideas.