Why did you get in lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Why did you make the move to do lawn care?

Why did you become self employed?

I did because it's easy to me.
    I love equipment and big stuff.
    I love to be outside.
    I like being my own boss.
    I like the money I make.
    I like the tax benies.

2. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

I got into lawn care 'cause, you know, all those guys with the $40,000.00 Powersmokes, all those Dixie Choppers, all those other neat expensive toys means only one thing.............They are a gettin RICH QUICK!

Mike

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

-i love to work period.
    -love working outside
    -great being able to pick and choose your work
    -make more money then working for another LCO
    -get to play with lots of cool toys
    -you choose your own destiny business wise
    -its great to show up to look at something shabby, and sort of make it over the way you like to make it look great.
    -landscaping is a type of art that you can create.

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I got into it when I was in high school, ever since I got a drivers license. It is the only work I have ever known. I guess you could say I never really made a move to the lawn biz..I just always been there:D ...perhapse one day I will be forced into getting a "real" job( god help me if that ever happens)but til then I'm guna stay a mowin fool:p (starting on my 16th season this year)

5. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

It Has always been something I loved to do .Started out working at a cementary and have enjoyed ever sence. Harvestman

6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

worked for a company summers. graduated with economics degree figured id work at a bank...but after seeing the money that could be made, well...

plus being self employed was a dream come true.

but can't say i inherently love grass, of cutting it, or landscaping. i somewhat like doing these things but on my days off im golfing, not gardening.

plowing i like, but even that i dont love

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

I actually got into the green industry from the opposite ways....sort of

I have done snow removal for many years and had 3 or 4 trucks sitting around in the summer, and a commercial client base. started doing it on the side of plowing for current customers and three years later the mowing/maintenance side of things does quite well. Now where as well as plowing but keeps me busy just the same!

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in a pinch at my ETS because I hadn't gotten a job lined up and I had to feed my family. My grandpa gave me a JD 318 and the rest, as they say, is history.

9. luv of green

luv of green LawnSite Member

I have to agree the toys are great, getting paid for a perfect tan , the people did it for me I was a printer for 6 years in the factory morale was low, get outside conversating with customers fixing peoples outdoor problems while most people i see in my days now are smiling or busy doing something they love, and i think very strongly in remaining in a positive manner will reflect how you run your life and take care of your customers, and also true we make a killing mowing grass, but, anybody that is reading this is thinking about mowing, that is my hobby as well as my and your career choice. i am so glad for this website everybody on here has high octane 2 cycle gas running through their veins and we look to this site for comfort and we recieve it every single day.

let it snow,let it snow, let it snow

10. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Unemployed at the time (two years ago) but looking for a job. I was at the grocery store one day when my girlfriend noticed a flier was looking for someone with or without experience starting wage was $8.00 an hour. I got hired and worked with him for about 5-6 months and now I have my own lawn service.

God im glad we ran out of milk that day!!!!!