Why did you ............

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Todd's lawncare, May 22, 2005.

1. I can so relate to what you are saying...

My story is to long for this forum, but I was laid off from this skilled trades.
    So I dusted off my lawn care skills and extended a big throbbing middle finger to my old employer.

Now I am my own boss, and I work on my terms. I have hundreds of clients and I am more secure now then ever.
  2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

all of the above.
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I did it because I like grass
  4. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

I had never even considered going into the tree biz. Working in the industry was just a way to pay the bills while I was in university. When I first got married and was soon to have our first kid I decided to take a semester off and work to save a bit of $$$. I was having a really hard time finding a job as it was early winter and there just aren't many jobs around here at that time. Out of desperation for some cash I decided to go knock on some doors and get some trees to prune for some grocery money. I picked up a couple of jobs that day and borrowed $300 from my dad to by my first piece of **** Craftsman chainsaw. I soon realized that not only did I really enjoy this biz (I already knew that) but I could make a lot of cash doing it and things just sort of very quickly snowballed into a full time career............

So glad I'm not stuck in an office like most of friends from university are. Oh yeah, the fact I make more $$$ than most of them isn't a bad little perk either.
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did it because I wanted to free myself from the corporate world. It is working. Also I love cutting grass and working outside.