Why didn't the flies and mosquitos die?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Jul 19, 2008.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a West facing porch on my new home. In the evening it gets covered with flies/mosquitos warming on the brick...

So I hosed the entire thing down a few days ago with both Bifenthrin and Permethrin at HEAVY rates. I even resprayed the brick a few times, letting it absorb in...

So why are there still flies/mosquitos all over the place? I understand that these chem's are not repellants... But when they hang out all night, shouldn't I be finding bug carcasses laying on the porch?

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I imagine that most of them don't just die there. It's like after you shoot a deer with an arrow, it wanders off and dies, it doesn't just die there under the tree stand.

I've watched a few bugs die when I sprayed them, just to see how long it takes. even with a full and hardy direct spray, it takes them a few minutes, and they crawl all around like crazy first. I imagine flies and midges take a few hrs to die after coming in contact with a treated surface, they probably fly around all crazy first.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

I have taken that into consideration... but not seeing a single dead one, after several days and, literally, hundreds and hundreds of flies/mosquitos... has me a little concerned.

My mix was toxic enough that the ones I hit when doing the initial spraying were down for the count in about half a minute...

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whoopass

If I may so bold as to correct you. Bifentrin and Permetrin are both REPELLENTS.

You might want to try an old cure for getting rig of flies that works for most people. It is taking a bath daily and using soap.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

Well THAT's even MORE discouraging, b/c they haven't slowed one bit... Some surfaces were absorbant and some were not... didn't make a difference...

Then my customers will talk to me even longer...

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whoopass

God forbid you talk to the customer and get an referral or even worse a Up sale.

Like many insects Flies and Mosquitoes will have larger population where sanitation is not the best. Mosquitoes breed in water and any where standing water can be eliminated helps control them. Flies breed in decomposing organic matter of any kind. Sometime just keeping that hay field you call a lawn will help. But first I suggest you more or get rid on all the junk in your hay field.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

You're right. I have no pithy retort for that one. I find myself always so overloaded that I have to remind myself (at times) that the customer is not the enemy...

I live in the lowest area in my valley (very damp) and have a canal that runs through my acreage. I also have standing water out back that seeps from the canal. I'll have to see what I can do...

The flies have everything they need around here. With the water and what not, plus the pastures with livestock I'm surrounded by, there's no shortage of prime breeding going on...

So is there anything else I can do? The front side of my house is the cleanest area...

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whoopass

I totally understand the down side to Tropical Utah. Too bad you don't have hard freezes and long winters to help control populations of insects.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

Funny you should mention that. While I know that your problems are more severe, it's not MY fault that you live in Florida. :laugh:

The heavy snowfall this past winter actually insulated pest populations, so we're having an epic year for several species...

Plus, I moved from a suburban neighborhood out into the more agrarian section of our valley and I'm still adjusting... Never felt like such a city-slicker in all my life...

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whoopass

It is not my fault that you live 432 miles past East Jesus and only have cows for neighbors. Here in the burgs we get excellent Mosquito Control provide by our very weak state budget. However Mosquito control is very high on the essential services list.