Why didnt you mow my back lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryan Lightning, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I skipped mowing this customers lawn for 2 weeks in a row, because of all the land mines, I could have been killed. 3 dogs and about 800 sqft of lawn.
    I got this customer from another gardener, because of the same reason, plus his employee wasnt doing the bushes very often, So they agreed to part ways, and I was recommended.
    I made it clear in the beginning I wasnt going to clean up after the dogs.
    First the lady of the house calls me today, and asks, "Why didnt you mow the lawn" I told her because the lawn wasnt cleaned up after the dogs. Her " Do I get a discount since you didnt mow the back" NO I charge you a monthly fee, and sometimes the lawn doesnt get mowed anyway. Her " OK thats all I needed to know.
    Then he calls, same deal, without asking for a discount. He sounds just like her " OK thats all I needed to know, If I have to go out there and pick up my self tuesday night I will" Hes referring to the him picking it up, instead of his kids.
    What a pin in my rear. If it wasnt $200 a month I would have told them to just find someone else. It pissed me off because she asked for a discount. I give them FULL service for the $200, Mowing, lots of large bushes, Weed control, sprinkler checks, ect. The mowing part of the job isnt even half the work, Its total 2,000 sqft of lawn tops. Ok Im done complaining, I just hope "OK thats all I needed to know" isnt code for your fired.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yes I feel that is a code word.

Basically they are probably thinking, "I see where you stand on the situation (charging me for work not being done) so I am going to look for another LCO."

Ok it could be they are thinking, "Oh, that is why the back yard hasn't been mowed, it's because my husband/wife doesn't want to pick up the crap."

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

why dont you offer them the service of picking up the piles? Shovel, 5 gal bucket fitted with a trash bag, about 5 mins, and leave the bag next to the garage. Charge them for it, and then you both will be happy. Works for me.

4. Nw. Shadesofgreen

Nw. Shadesofgreen LawnSite Member

Stick to your guns. We are not in the pet clean-up business. I have had a long standing policy of doing just as you have done.
    I Tell them that I don't want to spread there landmines to my other customers lawns on my equipment.
    Better yet tell them: If you would like to buy me a mower that I will only use on your lawn I will be happy to spread the poop around your yard. P.S. leave the mower for them to clean up and store. Just my thougths.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Just mow over the sh**

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Then invite yourself into their house and proceed to wipe your boots all over their new White Berber!

They'll get the idea.

Doggy do don't bother me too much until I accidentally hit some with the string trimmer. Of course it always goes in my face, mouth, nose, glasses.

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I find most folk in my area are too lazy to pick up after their dog regularly, they will walk it though to crap on someones nice nature strip though, I know mowing in the States is different to here in OZ, but everyone I know including me just mow the stuff, the dry stuff just turns to dust, the other spreads far, I admit I rarely walk over the lawn after mowing except to trim....I've never had a problem with it dirtying up my z, grass flow under the deck keeps everything clean. The Toro gets a weekly bath though.

Tony.

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Mac, are you saying you actually do this on some of your properties?

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to decide just how much you really hope it isn't code.

Your choices are to either;
    -stand fast in your dog poop = no mow
    -take Mac's suggestion, or some variation that'll keep you and homeowner happy
    -mow over it

If you really don't want to lose the acct, might consider calling client before they call you,and come to a poop handling agreement.

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

They're just turds. Blast right through them. Or get an office job.
    Crawdad