Why do all lawn care folks have a second job??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by smoofs71, Oct 1, 2006.

1. smoofs71

smoofs71 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about starting a landscaping business this spring. My only worry is that it seems 99% of landscapers have another full time job. Is there no money in it or is it just poor money management??

2. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

i dont. this is my only job and its part time. 4 days a week.

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

99% thats way to high of a number maybe 45%.

4. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 part-time jobs and lawn/landscape as full-time. Just the way I like it. My philosophy is if your sittin on the couch, there isnt any $$$ being made!

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

But if your always working, how are you going to enjoy the money? Im sittin on my couch right now. Should I get off my fat azz and do some work? Nah NASCAR is coming on.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

part time tow truck driver one day a week just for fun

7. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats just me....I usually try to take Sundays off. If I get motivation, I go to the shop and sharpen blades and just cleanup a bit. I'm actually doing monthly statements at the moment. I must agree though, NASCAR is comin on...:laugh: :clapping:

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Because most don't relize that a business needs to grow to be successful and to grow you need employees. A grass cutter may be a business but he will be limited in what he can earn.

Also it takes a lot more than just thinking to start and grow any kind of business

9. Hummer

Hummer LawnSite Member

Maybe the 2nd job is what supplies the health insurance?

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i know a lco who works like 4hrs every morning at ups for benefits for his whole family and another lco who has a full time job with the township and he also has full benefits and its a CAKE job but he also has a guy run his business for him