Why do all my lawns turn lime green at this time of year?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cpsaucier, Oct 31, 2007.

1. cpsaucier

cpsaucier LawnSite Member

Hello, I hope someone out there can help me with a problem I have had for years. In the fall most of my customer's lawns develop patches of light green almost yellow. I am pretty sure it has to do with fertilizer (iron maybe) but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Usually I apply a 24-2-11 blend but this fall I tried a 16-2-11 blend with the same outcome. It only seems to happen in the fall. One person told me it has to do with soil temp. As the fall turns to winter the discoloration goes away. Oh by the way I deal with St. Augustine grass and I'm located in Central Florida.Has this ever happened to anyone else out there?

2. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Start with diminishing daylight, cooler night time temps . . . plant uptake has slowed considerably.

There are a LOT of factors involved right now, but I won't comment further, since I'm in an area where the lawns actually do go dormant for 75-90 days.

There was an interesting thread from several years back about keeping lawns green as long possible. Do a search.

3. cpsaucier

Thanks for answering your reasons make a lot of scense. The only thing is it seems to happen more on my lawns...you can see the discoloration stop right at the property line. It has to be something I'm doing differant than everyone else.

4. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

Look at the blades closely in the yellow areas. I was asked to look at a lawn yesterday under TG's care. The green areas were very green but there were large patches of flourescent yellow. On closer inspection, everywhere the blades were yellow I found gray leaf spot. The excess nitrogen that they apply could be feeding the disease. Also the damp overcast skies we have had over the last week will make it worse.
    As the skies clear and the weather cools it should start to go away on its own.
    We have never found a need to treat for gray leaf spot.
    Here is some good information as well.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PP126

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i don't know about that lawn and the grey leafspot, but i have several companies ask me about the same thing . bright yellow spots our first thoughts were too much water/ lack of iron this proved false after continued monitoring and increasing companies asking the same questions.
    then some one came up with nitrogen induce chlorosis.
    now some one i have known for a long time and have great respect for their knowledge told me something and my first thought was no way.
    all i will say here now is use a fungicide that is labeled for brown patch and try it on a lawn to see results. that's where we are at right now

6. lescojdl

lescojdl LawnSite Member

My thoughts are too much nitrogen or an iron deficiency if its not disease. An insight into your fertilizer schedule would help tremendously.

7. cpsaucier

My schedule is pretty simple...I fertilize about every 2 months in the summer or whenever my lawns show the need. In the winter don't fertilize at all unless a lawn needs it. The last time I fertilized was about a month to a month 1/2 ago and the discoloration started about 2 weeks after that. It happens to me every year around this time. There is no problem in the summer when I fertilize.

8. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is the same this year, I thought iron deficiency and put it down all to no avail.

I am going to look into the post a couple up from mine about using the fungicide.

(Flor-tam St.Augustine in my yard)

9. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

I am with Greg on this one we see it all the time shortly after fert in cooler weather. Give it a couple of extra weeks it will blend. We use Lesco 20-0-20 slow release this time of year we allways see it.

10. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Green spots or streaks? Streaks-be looking for a fungus. Patches- low FE. Quick release products are gone, leached out with all our rain as of late. Glad to see you using a quality slow release product. Not instant results but works well. It's akin to eating a huge buffet at a single sitting vs. eating the same meal over a week. You'll be able to assimilate more nutrients over the week vs the over load (single sitting buffet) at one time. Most gets wasted. Same principle with fertilizing turf.

With ferts, you get what you pay for. Maybe a 15-0-15 NPK might be a slightly better choice. A little less N at this time of year but the extra potassium offsets that. Do you recall what micros and % fe was in the 20-0-20?