why do blades keep running- even with belt loose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowisme, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up a used Scag and seems the blades keep running even with lever in the 'disengage' position? the belt appears plenty loose in that position too. only thing is been sitting awhile - light pitting in pulley cause this?- thanks

2. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

how long does it stay running?

3. mowisme

They just keep going..as if belt was tight? This is a older STHM so no pulley brake or anything. Only thing I can think of is pulley is not smooth enough?

4. Hoy landscaping

you disengage the blades and it still does not stop

5. mowisme

Thats correct HL..they just keep going and going as if belt is tight..but it isn't? I'm thinking either main pulley on deck is not smooth enough..or the one on motor isn't..never seen this before. Belt isn't new but looks ok yet.

6. Hoy landscaping

does the engage lever work? i have a mower where the blades start spinning when the engine starts but when you engage the blades they spin at normal speed. not sure what happened but im going to leave well enough alone

7. mowisme

HL..I got the cover off and yes- lever works as should. tightens when engauged- loosens when dis-engauged. Bit baffling. I'm wondering if maybe belt is real loose on deck..but still too tight on motor pulley? I just brought this home so not had a chance to go over it real good. I know it was bit scarey loading it up ramps with blades still running. Thanks on your help. Geno

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Still to tight to fully disengage. Sometimes previous owners install the wrong size belt but you may be able to adjust it out at the tensioner.

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

See if any belt guides are missing or out of adjustment. Carefully examine the belt path while it is running...you should be able to see where it is grabbing.

10. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i had an old craftsman rider that did that never figured out what it although i didnt really inspect it too hard i always thought it was a loose belt but i did find out that when you disengage the blades idle the motor down like youre going to shut it off wait til the blades stop then throttle back up that always worked on that thing maybe itll work on yours