Why do customers do the stuff they do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, Sep 9, 2002.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Hi All,
    Got a customer with 2 acres. 1 acre we mow and maintain weekly, the other acre if field with a few trees and a rock wall (very nice) going around. The customer asked me if I would maintain the additional acre next year to add size to his lot, add appearance and so he could see the rock wall. No problem I said, since it was way to long to cut now we agred that it would be best to wait until next year. Well he must have got ambitious because he rented a tractor this weekend and "hayed" a little more than half an acre. He didn't take into account that he would have to clean-up all the grass that was cut. Calls me today and wants me to clean it up. Whats the best way to clean this up??? What would you charge??:dizzy:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What are you mowing with? In my case, I would let it dry for a day or two, and turn it to dust. Lazer with doubles. Either mulching over highlift, or Gators over highlift - either way.

3. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Got a Walker 20 HP 48" deck an Troy Bilt 33" wb, and a JD lawn tractor with double baggers. Was thinking run the Troy over it a few times to shred it up and then take the Walker and JD to pick it up.

4. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Use a match!

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

WIndrow w/ push blowers, back dump truck next to piles and load w/ pitch forks. Shouldn't take too long. Then double cut & let it fly!!

Bob

6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Do just what you said...run the troy bilt over it to reduce, finish up with the walker if needed. Should be a quick job. I have a jd gs30 that I use mercilessly in situations like this. It will flat out shred anything and really reduces tha amount of garbage you will have to houl away.

7. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Rent a hay bailing machine and feed a cow this winter!

Seriously, I agree to letting it dry and then mulch it to dust.:rolleyes:

8. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thamks guys, should be fun. I plan on hitting it on the end of the week. I'll let you know how it goes!!!!

9. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Customer couldn't wait. He got one of his friends to come over and they cleaned it up. Some people don't realize that we actually do keep schedules and have other customers that we need to please as well. Oh well frees up my Friday to do some things I've been putting off. Thanks for all your advise guys!!!

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would contact the customer immediately and ask if they want you to start mowing the additional area for "X" increase in the bill. Do not let this opportunity pass you by or let it get out of hand again.