Why do customers think they have grubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 20, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Had one today (service call) -- said they had grubworm damage by the mailbox. I checked it out. The grass had obviously been dead for weeks, so I used my soil prob (truth detector). Four inches below the surface I hit concrete - probably left over when the curbs were put in (new house).

Anybody else getting false reports of grubworm activity?

And what did you find?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

drought most of the time. They forget to water & it dries out & goes dormant. Or, I find that it is Grubs. Then I ask "Did you water like I told you to?". Oh yeah... I forgot to.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

any brown patch and some people think its grubs! it never fails in early June someone will see Dollar spot or brown patch and start watering the heck out of the lawn (at night of coarse) then 3 weeks later they call wanting a grub treatment.

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Thats because they see scotts tells them they need grub protection every year.

5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Because all they know is grubs.

me: "No, it's not grubs.."
    customer: "Oh, then what else can it be?"

Sometimes I just want to say something stupid like "it's a magic fart"

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Same people get a mole in their lawn (or a gopher for the ones that really don't know better) and they just KNOW they have grubs and that they need the grubs killed so the mole will go away. Morons... Moles may eat grubs, but they diet is also about 75% or more earthworms... Good luck trying to tell them that, because scotts has tought them that grubs equals moles.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

"But I don't understand it,....I just put Grub-ex with Merit down in the spring... The guy said that would take care of 'em."

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Jason Rose,

I had a customer that quit me last week because they got a mole in their lawn! Fortunatly they were my BIGGEST PITA customer. I already got rid of a mole in the spring for them, but since they got another one they thought it was my fault because I didn't apply a grub control!

1) They didn't want grub control applied.
    2) Like you said they can get rid of EVERY grub and still have moles.

Before I got off the phone I told them they had better do some research as they were going to spend more on grub control then just using Talparid to get rid of the mole.

I don't hate stupid people, I just feel sorry for them!

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a new customer cancel 2 years ago because the Merit I put down was drawing the beetles to her property. No arguing that she had roses, crabapples and other tasty beetle food.

Last year a woman called in early June with grubs. I get there and see little brown spots throughout the lawn. I don't know what she was using to apply Preen, but she dumped little piles everywhere.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I had another one today. Customer said birds were eating grubworms out of his lawn. (We already applied Merit to his lawn in mid July) Turns out it was earthworms coming up to the surface after recent rains. He said "You better be right, or else".