Why do hydros pumps cost so much!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Apr 30, 2002.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

A hydro on my ferris went. The whole spindle came out and there are metal shavings in there now. I know its done because there is alot of shavings. I am looking at around $1000 for a new pump. Unfortenatly I will be using this for a back up just as soon as i make enough for a new Scag or Exmark hydro. One a good note I am at least getting better with the trimmer and edging. I no longer go through a spool of string per house.:)
  2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Playboy sounds like your getting new pumps and wheel motors. They really arent that pricey when you figure how long they usually last, they are a percise machined product, plus they can get what they want you have to have them. Marks Mowing Service

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

do you need a pump for a ferris rider or a walk?
  4. First off you don't have a seprate hydro pump and wheel motor.

You have Eaton transmisions. Big money "when" they go out.

Now how old is it, and how did the spindle shaft come out?Sounds defective to me.

How much line do you wind in your trimmer?
  5. This is his sig line;

A Cut Above Landscaping & services
    48" Ferris Dual drive hydro 15 Kawi
    48" Giant Vac belt wb 15 Kohler
    22" Murry 6hp
    8 and 5hp Giant Vac wb blowers
    Shindiawa T230 Trimmer
    1991 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

I would assume walk behind.
  6. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

What kind of line are you using? Try Husqvarna titanium line. It lasts about 3 times as long as the other stuff I was using. Costs about 1 or 2 dollars more a spool. Well worth it. Works real well around rocks and other hard stuff.
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be happy you don't own a Grasshopper with the G2 trans system. If you did the pump and wheel motor would set you back about $2400. What a ripoff, huh.
  8. kerr lawn

kerr lawn LawnSite Member

playboy don't try that tituanum husgvarna line in your shindaiwa trimmer it sucks worse than anything i have every used. Keep with the red stuff, if you need heavy duty stuff for a job get shin grass attack. I have 3 t-260's and 2 new t-2500 with the c4 technology.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How old is the machine? Warranty on the Ferris hydros are for 5 years..i have been running them for 8 years now. Not even sure how many WBs I have had and have only had one go on me after 4 years. But I had to pay the labor if I remember right.

You don't even want to know how much the hydros in our Toro Groundmasters (72" riders) go for! Had to replace 2 of them last year in the same friggin week. Ouch!!!
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

This is the reason I have lots of back up mowers. I buy spare parts at auction sales. Last week I bought two mowers, a Bunton with a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel in it and a Toro with a 3 cylinder Mitsubhi diesel in it. Can $2400 for the pair. I have a Walker that I paid Can$1200 for last year all sitting there ready for parts if needed or as back ups. I just sold another Bunton I bought tonight for a nice profit.