Why do I have these problems w/ some and not others???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kaskov, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that I soded back in April and it came in great. These people have a sprinkler system and always water a sufficient amount which allowed the lawn to come in nice and thick (like a carpet).
    The past couple of times I cut the lawn, it looks more and more brownish after I cut it, but it will grow back in greener. So the lawn actually looks its greenest just before I cut it.
    Why is this happening now? I didn't drop the blades any lower then before, they water the lawn enough. I have a couple of other lawns that does this as well but then I have lawns that are just as green after I cut it then before.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sharpening your blades often enough?

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a typical amatuer answer from the back of the bus. mac hit it on the head with his recent reply to another thread.

4. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

So sharpening the blades is the only remedy for this? There has to be something else.

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Being farther north, I would wonder if you are cutting to much off at once. Are you using the "1/3" rule for cutting?

6. Kaskov

Kaskov LawnSite Member

I actually have the blades raised to cut for 4 inches in these months so it won't burn out as easily.

7. Lureman

Lureman LawnSite Member

The past couple of times I cut the lawn, it looks more and more brownish after I cut it, but it will grow back in greener. So the lawn actually looks its greenest just before I cut it.
    Why is this happening now? I didn't drop the blades any lower then before, they water the lawn enough. I have a couple of other lawns that does this as well but then I have lawns that are just as green after I cut it then before.[/QUOTE]

What type of grass is it?

Some of our couches are like that, they only get green at the top of the leaf, I think you guys call it Bermuda grass. The one in particular is Winter Green, terrible grass.

When you cut them they leave big brown patches which is the dead leaf and stolen showing. The best remedy is to cut them short, anywhere from 6mm to not more than 20mm. (Thats about 1/4 to 3/4 inch.)

8. Yamahauler

Yamahauler LawnSite Member

I keep extra blades so I can replace them if needed and I sharpen them on the weekend. I check my blade every day. I should be sharp and dont kut more than 1/3 of the blade hieght.

9. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

What type of grass is it?

Some of our couches are like that, they only get green at the top of the leaf, I think you guys call it Bermuda grass. The one in particular is Winter Green, terrible grass.

When you cut them they leave big brown patches which is the dead leaf and stolen showing. The best remedy is to cut them short, anywhere from 6mm to not more than 20mm. (Thats about 1/4 to 3/4 inch.)[/QUOTE].........................In my area is called "Bent Grass", also meant to be cut at 1/4 inch on the golf course.........I think thery're only 2-remedies for this........cut it out with a shovel or use a vertical slicer and cut in a dwarf type tall fescue, gotta pick a grass that can compete with it, that also grows like a weed........."Guys Sharpening Your Blades Is a waste Of Time", doesent matter how many people agree and post their answers here? :waving:

10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think bermuda grass and bent grass are two different types.