Why do I keep getting these calls?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lowcountry Lawn Care, May 25, 2005.

1. Today I got what is becoming a normal days phone call for me. I got a call from a lady interested in lawn care and she wanted me to give her a quote over the phone. Does anyone do this? This is just ridiculous. By the way when I give them the normal answer of ,"I would love to come over and give you a quote, but I cannot and will not give you a quote over the phone without seeing the yard in question"; I am told no thank you.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Happens to me from time to time. My theory is they are just price shoppers.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

And the funny thing about the people who want to know, "How much for an average lawn?"
    They never have an "average" lawn, it's either huge, full of trees, too steep for a goat, or three feet tall.

4. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, its usually their way of sucking you into giving them a low rate over the phone, you go and look at it and its a disaster, and your held to the 30 dollars you quoted over the phone!

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Not this year if I screw up I am not going to continue or even start. I am here to make money not lose it and I have dumped a few this season that found ways to get a lower price then they should have. My rep is built on the quality of my work not how well I take a beating and I do not play those games any more. I am drowning in work to take on a lower profit job makes no sense when I cannot get too all the work I have now.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I actually have found it helps to give them a price range over the phone...weeds out the cheap-o's. Saves me a wasted trip over to their property. I know what the average lot sizes are in most neighborhoods (most are around the same anyway), I just look it up on the map while I have them on the phone, and give them a ballpark. Of course, first time edging and tall grass are extra.

If they think the price is reasonable, I'll go over and give them the "official" estimate.

8. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Surely if they wont let you come over, just a price shopper!........As a rule I dont price over the phone, but if they persist I give them some rediculiously high quote and just laugh as they comlain how expensive my services are.....Oh well :waving:

9. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I quite often give phone quotes.

It saves ME a ton of time and gas and weeds out price shoppers.

Whenever, I plan on advertising in an area I pre-bid each neighborhood.

For the neighborhoods that I have not advertised in I usually know them well enough to get them in the ballpark and determine if they are price shoppers or serious inquiries.

Customers really like the instant response and it works well for me.

If I get out there and it is nothing like I expected I just tell them and adjust the price. I have found out that the people don't really get upset about the price adjustments because they were really expecting it all along because they knew they had a pita lawn.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea but your gonna find that most people will want you to stick to the quote over the phone,that's why they want you to give them a price over the phone,they know it's gonna be less than if you looked at it.My rule,never give a bid without looking at and walking the property and talking with the potential client in person to find out just what they expect for the price I quote them