Why do I need 4x4 on lawn truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Nov 21, 2010.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Bought a Dodge diesel last week 05' and my buddy at the nursery was like bro shoulda got 4x4 you'll be sorry you don't have it.

What the heck do me and my guys need a 4x4 in Florida for? especially when we live in the city.

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

and I know you guys are gonna be like "its always good to have case you get stuck", but in all my years in this business I never been stuck.

3. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

you dont NEED one their just nice to have. i try to avoid using my 4x4 as much as i can. when you turn it feels like the truck is running over itself. but they come in handy in those sticky situations.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I use 4wd occasionally when I dump clippings...sometimes it gets mucky this time of year and in the spring. I use it in winter a good bit...I used to put weight in the back, but screw that, I'll just pop 'er in 4wd and with a good set of tires, I don't even use it that much when it snows.

But if you never go off pavement, no need for 4wd. More expensive and more stuff to break if you don't need it.

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i use it in snow and sometimes when dumping. but isee no need for it in florida

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need it for a lawn truck. Just more stuff to break and result in worse mileage.

7. Maco Services

Maco Services LawnSite Member

Depends on the variety if situations you find yourself in.

If you are on road 100% of the time, no 4x4 needed.

I have been stuck in 2 situations in the last year. Driving up a neglected, washed out driveway that a small truck would have likely ended up on it's frame rails, and a day after a big rain going to the local landfill to dump debris. The only other time I would potentially need it is if we were doing mulch work in a situation where we had to move material far onto the property and had to take te truck. I'd rather drive into a yard with 4wd (don't turn, it will leave marks), than risk spinning tires and positively leaving damage in a lawn.

It would be nice to have, but don't need it to get the job done. Like most purchases, its something that can improve productivity in some situations, but unless you can substantiate time when you HAVE to be in 4wd, like plowing, it's a nice to have.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

On a diesel 3/4 ton not sure if I would buy a 2wd but you are in Florida with no hills and no heavy wet weather. With a diesel being front end heavy a 2wd tends to get a one wheel peal, you can put a good limited slip in the diff.

I wouldn't worry about it the truck will do what you want to do.

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

cant figure out why you would need 4wd in florida...

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Florida + working in the city = no 4x4 needed.

Up here in Michigan, it is pretty much a must, mostly for the winters. Though, just this fall I was going to a local auto parts store that was off of a road that was under construction. The road was all dirt, but the construction company had flatened it out so you could use it as an access road for some of the local businesses. Well, I pull in the drive way and get my front wheels on the asphalt of the parking lot, as I start to inch forward I suddenly stop and feel my back end starting to sink. Thank god for 4wd at that time, that's the only thing that got me out of it. My rear wheels were about 6" deep in the dirt, there was no way to get out of that in 2wd.

So yes, its nice to have 4wd for certain situations or for winter driving, but it is definately not necessary...especially down in Florida.