??? why do i see small Decks here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsbyrj, Dec 14, 2005.

1. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

ok that sounds bad but, round here most guys use 54in decks and loads of stuff i see here is 44in or smaller.
    i just wonder why so many small riders.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

small properties....
    here the properties are 75X150 with 3K sq foot houses..

i will guaranteee i can mow these lawns faster with a 52 , 48 or my 44 than you ever could with your 72 or whatever...

also the larger decks are too heavy for us here.... major rutting and scalping issues as most lots are not flat.

3. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

no I run a 54 also but lots of people around here run 60 and 72 decks but most lots are near an acre. no disrespect but I just wondered

4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

ya well arounf here they use 52 60 48in decks but where my dad works they have a 72 in down to a 44 and also have a 22 push but they have many mowers for the crewsthere trailers r 18 footers or bigger

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It's regional thing. This site has really opened my eyes to how differently people do things in different parts of the country/world. Here about the biggest thing you see is a 48" walker, its either walkers or 21" mowers. Many of the brands discussed on this site I have never even seen. I know they must be common somewhere because everyone talks about them. I learn a lot about equipment here, don't know how much use I will get out of the info. Most of my lawns are hybrid Bermuda and I use reel mowers 25" and 27" we cut the grass about 3/8"-1/2"

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

some guys like small decks.... :p

7. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

60" lazer, 48"TTHP, 21" honda push mower. I would like to have a 36" WB for gated yards but the ones that I do have are not that big so it's not an issue yet. Some people are scared of a large deck :rolleyes: and for some people it's just what they get used to running and are efficient with that equipment and don't want to try something new. For some it's a matter of price- a 44" mower costs a good bit less than a 60" deck.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Mostly small lawns around here, and you can get a 44'' through quite a few select gates.

9. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

i was thinkin about gettin a wright stander 32" deck. I could easily get that into most gated backyards. it is easier to get a small deck into many places rather than those big ones. I think you can use the smaller ones more and longer:p

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

here in florida -lots of people have swimming pools and the law is gates of 36 in or it can be wider. most arnt.