Why do John Deere Z's suck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by americanlawn, Aug 5, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

:usflag: I really don't think they do, but I would like to hear any negatives regarding these "7-irons". (keep in mind that I am sold on the new John Deere zero-turns). rscvp

2. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I am also curious as to what is said about the Deeres. I run all Toro stuff now but have been considering going green for next year for no other reason that the service at my local dealer. I am curious how many have switched from Toro, Exmark, or Scag to Deere equipment and what their thoughts are.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I bought a used JD Quik Trak 647 at the beginning of this season. I have nothing negative to say about the 7-Iron deck. In fact, I have nothing but good to say about it.
    This was a really wet June in Oklahoma...nearly all the mowing we did in June was wet, lush, grass...and overgrown at times. It cut it like a champ. No clumping, no missed spots, dispersed clippings well.
    It is built like a tank too compared to other standers.
    From a guy who has always had Toro I can say nothing cuts like a Deere...:usflag:

4. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

That's the problem. They really don't.

:waving:

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I say demo the 777 or 797 model to see how the 7-Iron II cuts in OHIO.

6. PEVO

PEVO LawnSite Member

This depends on what models your talking about. About the only Ztr Deers iv'e looked at were at Home Depot...a residentual 48 in cut job. To me they looked no better made the the 50" & 60" in Cub Cadet ztrs at the local Tractor supply. I'm soooo glad i held out & fell into a used Hustler super-Z 60in. I seriously doubt these cubs & deers would hold up to commercial demands nor are they designed to(unless your the sole owner/operator your equipment & your careful) I do think that they could do just fine for a suburban home ower with 1-2 acres to keep mowed. For me...i'm cutting 5-6 acres(some of it rough) I would tear the hell out of those stamped steel decks in no time.

7. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Even the 737 and 757 Mid Z-Traks are very good machines.

And yes, do test them in your types of turf. That pretty much goes for any brand.

8. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Your kidding right? He is talking about the commercial line of deeres. Cub Commercial makes a fine Z with a fabricated deck you just have to look beyond home depot and tractor supply.

9. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

In all honesty you can't compare the home depot homeowner line of cub or john deere to their commercial equipment which are sold exclusive by dealers. :laugh: They offer a homeowner line because everyone can't afford commercial equipment.

10. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, is it true j/d have may items /parts that can only be purchased thru a deere dealer??????? [for comercial mowers]

tomo:waving: