1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why do LCOs INSIST on using lg. diam. trimmer line?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Aug 17, 2005.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Narrower diameter line is INHERENTLY sharper, and you'll get a faster, cleaner cut. I use Sufix Megatwist .095 which is actually narrower than round .080 line. It cuts cleaner, faster, and I can use a smaller-engine, lightweight trimmer (Tanaka 230) and still cut a wider path than if I use larger diameter line.

A larger diameter line might last a little longer than smaller diameter line. But who cares -- using thinner line you can wind more on a spool anyway, and it takes me no more than 3 minutes to wind a spool with fresh line.

And oh yes, I've tried MANY different types of line in different diameters.
  2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I think most use .095 man. I use .095 and .105. .105 is used more for brush and other areas where thicker line is more efficient.
  3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

.105 and .095 both have a place in my set up. I have one trimmer wound with .095 and one wound with .105.
    .105 is better for edging, sidewalk cracks, and thicker stuff. It's less forgiving of mistakes but is also ok for all around trimming.
    .095 gets used up quicker but is a little easier to use and gives a cleaner cut.
    It just depends on the situation.
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I like the thicker better so i can edge without having to let ourt more line every two feet. Also good for thick grass. I use .095 on my stihl.
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I keep .95 and put in a bucket of cold water over night. It makes it last longer. At least thats what my dealer told me.
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use .130 shindaiwa quetwist in all my bumps. it is about the same diameter as .095 line, but wears forever. same with .095 grass attack, but that leaves a uneven cut.
  7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you like the Quietwist?

But most of these responses prove my point -- most use .095 or larger. Go ahead, use it for trimming and edging - but you won't get a clean or quick cut.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I like light trimmers and .080 or .095 the .080 just slices luike a razor at full trottle but does wear quickly when used aginst buildings and such. I for have some .105 for thicker stuff but preffer the smaller for the quick clean cut.

Its just a prefference and very dependant on your style and the conditions in which you trim most. I like the husq titanium line. Sseems to get good wear. Going to pick up some .095 echo crossfire next week and try soaking it in water like Mark said.

No matter which line you use keeping it out of the sunlight will help it last longer. I build a small rack inside my tool box to hold it.
  9. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

Suffix megatwist .095 when trimming nice lawns, Echo crossfire .105 when trimming the big stuff.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You said it! :D