Why do people ask so much for used equip on Lawnsite?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Jan 19, 2007.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone else noticed this people ask absurd prices for their equip on here. I see WB's, vac systems etc for almost list price new. Does anyone actually pay those prices?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

yeah I hear what your saying. I see mowers all the time with 900 to more than 1500hrs on them and people are asking more than half the new price and the mowers are over 10yrs old. Cars depreciate alot faster and 1500hrs on a mower is like 150,000 on a car. So if you buy a car new for $15,000 and rack up a 150,000 miles on it in 10yrs according to mower prices on this site the car would be say around $8,500-$9,500. I dont think so.

3. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Hey if they can get it more power to them. I know I cant get prices like that when I go to unload equipment. Been looking for a used 48 WB and running into the same thing.Keep looking itll happen.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I've purchased an attachment for my dingo from a guy on here from virginia. I thought it was priced to sell...and I bought it. He even met me halfway. so, no I don't share that opinion.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Good deals exist(when I sell things):clapping: . Just not many on here.

6. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Comparing the cost and resale of a car to a mower, that's not even apples to apples. Ever think that people inflate the price to have room to get talked down. Your never going to pay sticker for something used. this is just how selling used equipment goes. And 1500 hours in not really as bad as you think if well taken care of.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

A typical for instance on purchasing used turf equipment is so very dependent upon overall condition of the machine, routine maintenance performed, manner of operation.
    I run a half dozen riding ztr's throughout the year and 1,500 hrs is about a year and a half run time for us.
    I rotate new machines into my fleet at around 2,500 and I have a waiting list for my used equipment.
    I recently sold a used Gravely 262 ZTR with the 25 hp Kawi, 2245 hrs for $3,800.00.
    The individual purchasing this machine was very happy with it and still calls thanking me.
    I just bought an '02 Exmark 36" hydro walk behind in excellent shape, about 280hrs for $1,550.00.
    Deals can be had but your relative purchasing power obviously comes into play.

8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

It goes both ways....It seems everyone thinks a $10,000 ZTR a year later is worth $3000.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Afaik, it has a lot to do with supply and demand vs. fair market value (and knowledge or ignorance of that).

Huh?
    If everyone wants a toro but nobody has the cash to buy it new AND everyone who has ever bought one hangs on to theirs like crazy glue, then the FEW used ones that are up for sale will command a higher than fair market price.
    This is very true with trailers, as one example.
    While I can get a new trailer for $1,500, one that's 8-10 years old still sells for 900+ easy, some over a grand.
    Mainly, because trailers last 15-20 years.
    Lets put it this way: I bought my trailer new.

Then it is possible that more than a few sellers start high, knowing one can always come down... You will likely be hard up finding a steal, for everyone else is looking, too. Not to mention, price it way low and folks think something is wrong with it so now you wait forever trying to sell it and when you do, you lose money to boot.

The few new stuff dealers who have used stuff, most of it is trade-in or repo (so they have to get their money out of it).
    The few used stuff dealers who deal only in used stuff, most of it they found hunting around for Lco's going out of business (and likely ripped them off, if you so want to put it, but then they have to make their money too, and it's not their fault someone else desperately needed cash).
    Meanwhile, the Lco who sells his own stuff vs. going through the just mentioned used dealer route, he is not desperate for cash.

The other thing is, there is one guy here who buys ALL his stuff brand new every year, thus he has the MOST used stuff for sale: ALL his stuff is 1-year old, stuff like this commands a high price, a lot of things don't come down much for at least 5-10 years.
    Once again, because most commercial grade equipment is designed to last 10-15, maybe 20 years.

AGREED !!! :laugh:
    There's a perfect example of a machine that would not sell for that amount until it has 10-15 years of use on it.
    IF you can even find one that cheap, it likely won't run right (or for long).
    And if you sold yours for less or sold it before it's useful life was near expired, that's not our fault.