Why do people buy Ford trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rons Rightway Lawncare, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious as to WHY??? :confused: Not trying to start a Chevy is better than Ford war here, but I just don't understand why people choose a Ford over a Chevy or Dodge or even the imports. At times I think some people buy Ford trucks just because they want a Ford truck, not because they really researched the differences in trucks or powertrains or features or prices....

Myself, I am ready to ditch my pickup truck and been looking real hard at the Isuzu landscaper trucks. I used to drive my truck as a personal vehicle when I wasn't working, but I got tired of having to drop the trailer to be able to go anywhere with the truck where I didn't want to tote around a trailer, So.... I got a car to use to run errands and go places, and now leave the truck and trailer hitched almost always. I am now tired of pulling a trailer and may just go with the Isuzu now...

2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Same reason people buy Harleys? Image to be cool, to be a Ford guy. I switched to Isuzus years ago. No more truck problems at all .:clapping: I tried to make it work with fords it's sad the state of american vehicles.

3. why do people drink pepsi's and not cokes.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

There are alot of reasons people become brand loyal......and to some extent, it is hard to avoid being swayed by multi-million dollar advertising campaigns, and the reasons/justifications are endless for one brand or another. Years ago, there were clear lines....as time has gone on, what used to be "American" has now got parts from all over the world and Toyota has plants in the heart-land.......With that said.....
    I cowboyed on a large ranch in Arizona some time ago and we had Dodge, Chey and Ford 1 ton 4x4's. The only truck that held up to ranch work and those dirt roads/cow trails was the Ford. The Chev's and Dodge's fell apart and died......the Ford's kept on running, despite the daily abuse. I drive a ford 1 ton 4x4 right now, but if I was to go buy a new truck tomorrow, I would have a hard time not considering a Chevy or new Dodge 4 door 4x4.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Not saying this is the answer for everyone, but it can vary on budget and what the vehcile is to be used for. For 1 thing, can an isuzu cab over pull a loaded skid steer trailer legally? I personally don't know nor have I ever seen it. I have seen a f350 or a larger 450-550 truck do it though.

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a Ford, Chevy, and Dodge guy, it just depends on what I own at the time for me to identify which one. When I buy a vehicle I look at the price, the quality (always bought used), the options (engine, gearing, etc...) and dealer support. I like all trucks.

7. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it is the American way.:usflag:
    Mike

9. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

The reason that I drive a Ford, is because it is the most dependable truck that I have ever owned. I have a 2005 Ford F-250 (FX4) with the PowerStroke Diesel. 24,000 trouble free miles - and I mean trouble free.

The next reason I drive a Ford Super Duty is because this truck "hauls azz" and can pull my trailer, loaded, with plenty of power to spare. When I was shopping for a truck at the time, the Ford Super Duty was the only truck of the "Big Three" that clearly out-powered and out-hauled the other two competitors. So the decision for me was an easy one at that time.

I have owned a Dodge Ram. It was a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins Diesel. It was also a great truck. If I was to purchase another truck right now, I would again give the Dodge Ram Heavy Duty some serious consideration.

The only reason that I never considered purchasing a Chevy or GMC is because I always felt that their truck bodies were always so dated. They just don't hit me with the WOW factor. WOW factor is important to me, especially when I am dropping more than $40,000 on one of these beasts. Then for the 2007 model year, the GMC and Chevrolet truck interiors are not what I would consider a "True Truck Interior".

Try this one weekend. Go examine a Dodge Ram Mega Cab Heavy Duty Truck, next go examine a Ford Super Duty Truck, then lastly go examine a Chevrolet or GMC Heavy Duty Truck. Once you have done all of this, then the answer should be clear to you why some people buy Ford, why some people buy Dodge, and why some people buy Chevy/GMC.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We just bought a 06 F250SD. I also use this for personal things as well, not that I have a spare second..... But I cant see myself driving to the store or a family picnic in one of those. I do see why guys buy them though they seem to run for ever! Plus I haven't seen one with a plow on it in all the years I've been in the business. So to me it would be a truck I would use 7 months out of the year. And if they do make a plow for it I'm sure its well above the average price. I paid 31k for my 06 and I happend to look at one last year at a dealer that sold those kind of trucks and if I remember right the sticker was well over 40k and all it had was a small box on it.