why do people even bother calling?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scenic Lawnscape, May 24, 2004.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy ask for my card the other day, i told him the area i was in was $20-$25 per week average small yards. anyways he calls me today and i tell him ill be by later to look at his yard. Im finishing up my day and he calls again so it seems this guy really wants service, so I go over and I walk in the back yard and low and behold there it is the back yard with grass up to my knee, not just one area the whole yard. So i tell them well This would be a $20.00 a week cut small yard, minimal trimming, but i tell them there would be a one time fee of $75.00 to cut this yard because of the height of the grass. They look at me and start to argue my price, i just look at them and tell them you have my number if you want the service you can call me. how can you expect some one to come in and cut 3 ft high Grass for $20.00 . I know that once i got it cut they would come up with a excuse to cancel the service, once its down to height that there little push mower could handle. These kind of people really get under my skin.

Rich

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have dealt with that before in the past. They expect you to do it at that price, but what they don't understand is that its hard on your equipment and it takes you three times longer

3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right by not giving in. I'm through with doing the first cut at regular price just to win the business because I tried that 3 times and got burnt on all 3. They are probably either going to use you to get it back in line and then dump you or are too cheap to hang on to anyhow.

4. bobby perez

bobby perez LawnSite Member

I had a guy like that . He asked How much to cut . The grass was up to my knees. I asked him do you want the weekly price or the 3x as high price. this weeds them type of custumers right out. He said give me the weekly price . I say 40.00$. He says TOO MUCH. I tell him you have a nice haircut, how much was it he says 20.00including tip. I said TOO MUCH considering your 3/4 bald. You go figure that one out and try to justify the cost. Some people

5. johndeeregreen

johndeeregreen LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

:laugh: :cool2:

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I won't cut one timers any more. I tell them they have to at least want 4 cuts to get me out there. Most then sign up for the weekly maintenance

7. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

I rarely give prices over the phone for this very reason. I tell people that I have to see the yard first. This way you are not beholden to a cheap price sight unseen.

Some won't invite me out after I tell them that, but its a good way to "qualify" people without wasting your time.

When you see the yard that is "arse high to a short guy", then you can give them the price.

Some people will persist wanting "a ballpark price" and I always refuse to give a ballpark sight unseen.

8. dgregg

dgregg LawnSite Member

Wow, Im against all of you! In the last month I received 2 calls of the same nature. Both cust. were people you would think could never afford a lawn service, but I kinda felt for them being Mr. compasinate or Mr. Stupid. But anyhow cut there lawn for the first time all season, 18" or so and since have retained both. Both pay at time of service and one gives $5.00 tip everytime. Just my expierence, and I still agree and see your opionions

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Rich, you are probably right about the people just wanting a one timer and dumping you but did you find out why the grass was so long?
    There may be circumstances that were out of their control but I am saying this from my computer keyboard and not on the property.
    I have had good and bad experiences with these jungle mow jobs. One guy just took ownership of the place which was neglected from previous owners. He needed it cut and explained why it was so long. I explained how it is much harder on the machine and much more time consuming to cut and bag. We both agreed and I did the work and got the weekly job with add-ons.
    But then I had one where the people were on vacation in the spring and the lawn got away from them. They call me to mow this place and half of it is basically a bog with 2' grass. (lots of rain). There was about 20K of lawn and they said that they are considering hiring my service but they want to see how I would do. Needless to say I told them my schedule was full.
    Only you can get the feeling as to if the person is gonna be an idiot or a good customer by talking with them, sounds like you did the right thing.

10. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Stay far away from anyone who will argue price with you right on the spot. They will be nothing but trouble. Just remember, it isn't our fault it's almost june and grass is almost 3ft. high.