Why do people feel the need to lie?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Jul 22, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

So 2 weeks ago I had a guy call me up and tell me he was making some cutbacks and I had to go. I understood. He told me that he was going to start cutting his own lawn to save the $160 a month he was spending. Times are tough. I get it. I have made some changes also.

He tells me that maybe next year he will re-up if things get better.

Last week I go by and notice the grass is cut but there are "commerical" lines in it. I chalk it up only doing it one week with a push mower and my lines still being in it.

This week though I go by and some d-bag in a Jeep Cherrokee with a Home Depot mower is doing it!

Listen, I dont mind losing a customer to someone cheaper. It's the nature of the business.

But cmon! At least be man enough to tell the truth. Did he think he was going to hurt my feelings? Why lie about it? I do his neighbors also. Did he think I would not notice?

2. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Pathological liars are part of our society and, unfortunitly, we'll have to encounter them in this business. For some its easier to tell a lie than to tell the truth. That's not the way I was raised. If I did something wrong when I was a kid that warranted a "spanking" from one of my parents, I would get extra punishment if I lied about it. :hammerhead:

Exmark Lazer Z AS 52" Ultra-cut
    Husqvarna 4824 ZTR
    Gravely Pro-cut 21"
    Stihl 4-Mix Kombi
    Stilh 2-cycle Kombi
    Stihl BG-85 Hand-held
    Redmax 2300 trimmer
    Redmax Hedge Trimmer
    Shindawia Back-pack
    McClain Edger
    Agri-Fab Aerator
    7' X 12' Pro-Pull Trailer
    1995 Silverado
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I JUST got off the phone with one telling me that her employee is now going to be taking care of the property because she doesn't have enough hours for him. There's $700/month down the drain. I will atleast get a kick out of watching him mow this 5 acres of thick, always wet and muddy 'lawn' with a push mower.
  4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

Yikes!! Hate to hear that. Hope you pick up another good paying customer soon.
  5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not the first one this week. I guess costing is finally settling in peoples heads.
  6. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

some jerk

Bwaaa ha haa never heard that expression before. I assume not a member if the indigenous population

atb Phil :)
  7. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

What if he's related to the guy, and the guy was offering to do it for free because he cant? More than likely, that isn't why but it is a possibility.
  8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Anything is possible but again, why tell me he is going to do it himself?

The world is full of stupid people. Unfortunatly most of them are my customers.
  9. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Hahahahahah yeah thats a good point. People these days.
  10. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a new property manager @ my commercial accounts... he was there for one month, I gave him my invoices during his first week. He approached me and said..."I hand delivered your invoices to the office myself.... no mailing them in for me." he claims...
    I think 'great'.... expect the checks in 3-5 days as usual for the past 6 months.

3 weeks later.... nothing. The old property manager calls me and welcomes himself back but in a different position. ( he and I have a pretty good biz relationship) I mention that I hadn't gotten paid yet and now it's over 3 weeks late. He says... "Of course you didn't get paid yet..."
    me= "Huh?"
    him= "All 3 of your invoices are sitting on the new property managers desk...."
    me= "wha what???"
    him= "Ill sign off on em' myself and get em' in.... no sweat.."

Two weeks later... new property manager 'claims' the president of an HOA of one of my accounts is 'extremely pissed off at me and my upkeep of the shrubs'

So I called the president himself after hours... *cellphone* and ask him if he's happy thus far 6 months into the season about my work....
    President= "Sure... why do you ask???"
    Me= "Well, the new property manager told me you were upset about my work and was just sugarcoating, but you're really not happy..."
    President= "really? not sure why and I don't sugarcoat anything to anybody.... I'ma business man myself... if fact.. I'd like you to add 40 new shrubs with some color throughout the property.... clear out the woods between building 47 and 48.... and lets work on a proposal for rehabing all the atriums...."

there's a couple grand over & above the contract.... for a man who supposively wasn't happy.

3 days later... new property manager brings in a 'friend' of his that happens to be an LCO.... to bid all the properties...

I hate liars.