1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WHY!!?? Do people lie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Aug 10, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

WHY! When I demand payment...do people make up stories?? "Im out of checks" " I put the payment in the mail" Crap like that! Why cant they say "Im having money problems now" or "Im a jerk who enjoys watching folks bust their ass to make a living and not get a dime from me".

And why is it when someone steals a 300 dollar tv from the local Walmart they 10 yrs...but when they rip us off for 300 they get....ummm...NOTHING! A Judgement! In North Carolina thats about as worthless as the person that ripped you off.

For one week...Id love the law to change to: If someone isnt paying you...smack em in the head. ONE WEEK! Thats all! I know I wouldnt get any yards cut that week...but Id sure have a fun time smackin heads! :hammerhead:
  2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

That just shows you how "GREAT" this country is!!!( not saying any names ,LIBERALS) Or its just your state officials you elected. I'm not bashing your state or our country we've just made bad mistakes in the polls.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, I'm so busy I can't get my own yard done. Would you be interested?
    ha ha ha
    I know you're just venting but, you need to vent to someone who can help you. THE PEOPLE WHO OWE YOU MONEY. Just ASK for it. Don't let them off the hook with some bs excuse.
  4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i have 2 people that will be getting visited by my two buddys looking for checks.

only done this 2 times before always works all they have to do is ask..
  5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

No offense bro but, if you had two friends show up and MY house, MY two friends would be more than happy to discuss the issue with them. In fact, my friends Smith and Wesson would probably let them get 2 sentences out before replying.
  6. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

New law under my rulership:

If someone owes you overdue money; you may kick in their front door and take whatever makes you happy for payment.
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I hear you guys...

Just curious... If someone doesn't pay, is it legal to snow plow a huge pile of snow in front of their garage and remove when they pay?
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That was discussed on plowsite last winter. I like the idea!!!

I hate people who lie, wether it be customers or who-ever. It just makes me angry in general and I certainly don't want to do business with liers!
  9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

The best one. " I've been out of town" Really, then how the hell do all your other bills get paid? The real truth of the matter is that we are just the lawn boys, and they think that they can let it slide. Bullsh*t !
  10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense to you but guns don't intimidate people like they used to. If you pull out a gun on someone , you might as well use it and use it good. Otherwise, you'll take the heat for it.

I also have collection friend, and they bring their friends Smith and Wesson on too. Good to have the best of both worlds.

I've learned an easy way to nip this in the bud is not let people get to deep into you. You have a better chance at getting your money back on small amounts in small claims court, then you do if they owe you thousands of dollars on a construction job.

You just have to come up with some sort of payment plan method that works for you and your customers.

We have a minimum shop charge at my shop, which I don't ask people to pay up front. I usually get burned a solid 50 times a year. People will drop the equipment off, and never come back for it if it isn't worth fixing. That's a couple grand a year, which isn't really a lot of money, but it's 2 grand a year that could be in my pocket.

My accountant takes care of it.