1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why do people remove their guard on string trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G.M.Landscaping, Jan 29, 2006.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What is the benifit for this? I've never trimmed without one so I'm clueless.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

because they are crazy? i'll never trim, or ask anyone to trim, without a guard

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

4. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Maby remove about 2 pounds or so, when you think about it. The guard dosent weight that much but when you put it so far out it gets heavy. Also alot better balance and you can see what your doing alot better. Expecially when edging, forsure. I got my guards removed on my FS85's and I will never put them back on. And the dealer dosent recommend it but when you got a field. Just load it up with about 2' of string and give it. But just give it a good cool down period after that and watch your elbo, it burns. Everyones got thier opinion but for the very few rock chips you will get on your legs I think its well worth it.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

PROTECTION ; 4 : a protective or safety device; specifically : a device for protecting a machine part or the operator of a machine
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Because you have to tap your line every 2 seconds with a guard, and you can cut much larger areas of grass with the string 18" long verses 6" or less. On top of that you can SEE what your line is doing rather than see it after it's been cut. Overall it is more productive, im sure plenty of people will want to argue over it but that's just my and 99% of lco in my area and alot of others.

The ONLY companies that use them around here are Brickman and ValleyCrest for Liability reasons im sure.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Shoot man with the guards on you will go thru a spool of string a day.
  8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We used guards for a long time and when we went to buy our last trimmer our dealer didn't install the guard. After that we removed the guards on all of our trimmers we found it saved us a lot of line. The trimmer is also more balanced and there is no guard to clean.
  9. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

The "guard" is no guard at all. All it is really for is cutting the string.

What does it Guard???

Anything that you hit with the string is out at very outside edge of the guard any way.

I took mine off for three reasons; 1) so you can trim around poles/trees without going all the way around the object, 2) to reduce weight, 3) I don't use a bump head.

I have tried it with and with out and get hit with the same amount of debris.
  10. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Quite simply you are more productive without them. You can conture your trimming to the terrain and use less line. If you are concerned about getting your legs hit without them in place then this is the wrong job for you. They do not protect your legs as much as you think.