Why do people say it's tough in Florida?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John From Florida, Jan 28, 2012.

1. John From Florida

John From Florida LawnSite Member

Tough as in difficult to make a living doing lawncare?

Is this accurate in your opinion when compared with northern states? I'm considering doing lawncare part time during college and maybe going full time after graduating. Would I be wasting my time? I doubt this can be entirely true. Some have got to be making it OK. I eventually want to start a family - can I support a small family in this field?

2. IMO it depends on how you run your company. If you offer full service, design and install, tree work, etc, then yes. If you want to be a mow and go only company, good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your major going to be ?

4. John From Florida

Majoring in International Affairs, but unfortunately there are very little employment opportunities with this major. Without going into too much detail, I picked this major because it held the most interest to me in terms of what I'd be focusing on. I was also limited to what I was able to pick because of prerequisites. Being half way done with college I'm finding myself in this upsetting and weird situation where I'm realizing I don't want a life of office work, so now I find myself scrambling to figure out what I can do. Lawncare honestly seems like it could be a fruitful and enjoyable profession (the self-employed aspect also adds to the appeal).

5. zturncutter

Then I would take as many courses in accounting and business administration as you could work in in the time you have left in college and work your lawn business part time and see how it goes. My son will be graduating from USF this year and many of his friends from high school find themselves in the same situation as you and they are closer to graduation.

6. John From Florida

Yeah, the problem now is that a four year college degree is worth what a high school diploma used to be.

Now I'm beginning to wonder what I do on my own to where having a specific major doesn't matter too much, and landscaping fits the bill pretty well.

In your opinion, is there a reasonable way to make a living doing lawncare here in Florida, or is the market way too saturated with lowballers and just too many plain ole LCO's?

7. John From Florida

*what I CAN do on my own

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I think people should spend 2-3 years working before going to school. Simple answer to your problem, change majors. If that means an extra year filling prereqs, so be it.

9. zturncutter

10. John From Florida