Why do people work for a lawn company...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by velocicaur, Mar 26, 2014.

1. velocicaur

velocicaur LawnSite Member

This response comes from my little experience in the work force and is very naive, etc.

I have been looking for a job and I just can't help but wonder why people work for a lawn care company. The work is hard in undesirable weather conditions. There are little to no benefits for the vast majority of the positions. In the northern states, you have plowing from December to mid March which is hit or miss depending on the season. There is very little upward mobility within a company. You may be promoted to crew leader and get a few more bucks, but it is still lacking. If you are one of the fortunate ones, you'll get into a large company that offers health benefits and a liveable wage.

There are so many other places to work that offer so much more: grocery stores, manufacturing facilities, warehousing, etc.

I have to be missing something.

2. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

There ISN'T so much more out there, though.

You're just flat out wrong.

3. wow, your right, I'm going to quit and go to the grocery store now.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'm going to a factory with 40 hours for $12 an hour with yearly 3% raise :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

I just spoke with a guy who has 8 foreman and they all make between 60k on the newest and well over 100k on the most senior foreman. A new good hard worker should easily do 40-50. The great thing is that you don't need school to make big bucks. I wouldn't work for someone else for less then 100k a year. Granted I would work 3,000 hours a year for it. Just remember you get out what you put in. You sound like you want to do bare minimum and have a slacker mentality to be honest. A guy like that your right, 12 bucks a hour. I don't think you understand the success and opportunity that can be self made in this industry.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Every one of the large companies in America is just begging for rock star guys to come aboard, pull some weight, make it rain, thing like a owner. Every one of them is begging. I can guarantee you with 10 phone calls I would have 10 well paying job offers. Name one other industry that has that to offer?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. CreativeLawncareSolutions

You can't even get a $12 an hour at a factory. What factory? Where are these factories? If they're there the positions are already filled. If a position opens then you'll be up against 500 other applicants.

$12 an hour just doesn't really exist.

My father got hired on in a paper mill in the early 80's. Nothing but a HS education. The Glory Days. Union shop. Good benefits. He makes 70k a year, benefits, etc. Doesn't exist any more. Hell, kids with college degrees can't even get a job paying $12 an hour. Oh yeah...dad's paper mill laid off 75% of the workers 2 years ago.

8. CreativeLawncareSolutions

There isn't one.

Our industry has a stigma attached to it, though. It lends itself to a lower breed of worker. This makes it easier to stick out and really shine, though.

If I didn't work for myself I'd be working for another LCO. I'd be kicking butt their in no time too.

9. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

You won't get rich but if you work for an established LCO and prove you do good work, become knowledgable and are reliable you can earn a basic living.

You get to work outdoors, work with different types of power equipment, have a change of scenery. To a degree you can dictate your pace of work and have some flexibility within your day.

I worked for my former boss landscaping for 7 years, some of the best times of my life. Many times I wish I never left, the door is always open to go back. The later part of that I always had at least 40 hours a week year round.

I worked for a national tree service and landscape company for about 1 year, that sucked.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. CreativeLawncareSolutions

Trees? No thanks. National? No thanks. Agreed.