Why do Scags not cut good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, May 11, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We have a 36" scag and it cuts like poo poo. Always shaggy looking even with sharp blades and a clean deck. We have seen other companys scags produce the same kind of cut. We will never buy another scag for any reason. We had the dealer go over it and adjust everything and we double checked and everything seem's to be set fine. It just doesnt produce a good cut like our bobcat's and lazer's.

2. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Scag SSZ that used to cut like that, then P&J Lawncare told me to try Bobcat offset blades. What a difference, it cuts like a differenct machine.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One of my customers has 2 48" Scags. An older deck and an Advantage deck. She says the older deck leaves a nicer finish than the Advantage deck.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

ours is the older deck and it really cuts like crapola. Only reason we got it because we got it at a good price. I have gotten the blades so sharp that you could barely touch the blade and not get cut. Still didnt help.

5. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

The two 48" scag wb's that I had didn't cut so great either. I think mine were underpowered with 14 hp motors. I really hated them mowers.

6. mole

mole LawnSite Member

I have a 7yr old scag that cuts better than my ztr I use it everyday any kind of condition and cuts like a champ. All I do is clean and sharpen the blades and of course all the other stuff to. No really I will put my scag agianst anything.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My scags cut good, but both are 48'' , dont know if there is something about the 32'' blades or what

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Both my scags cut good. I have a 52" wb & 72" rider, no problems. The 52" is 7 yrs old & 72" is 3 yrs old

9. mine cuts great 36 inch ulimate hydro

10. .........................................................................................