Why do so many have so much insurance coverage for lawncare?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Jan 21, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

My insurance company told me $500 per year for $300,000 coverage. Everyone on here seems to say a minimum of $1,000,000. I only do residential and I'm solo. Am I missing something here. I really don't see how I could need so much much than $300,000.
  2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

most commercial accounts want 1,000,000 300,00 is fine for residential
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have 300,000 coverage and I feel it is adequate. Some big commercial jobs require a minimum of a million coverage.
  4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I just paid $360 for 2 mil of coverage through Erie Ins.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That's a good deal.
  6. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, I only going to get 1 mil but it was only an extra $80 a year for the 2 mil. I dont have snow plowing or any tree or chemical work covered. I would make sure they are quoting you for what services you actually provide. I just mow and landscape so the premium is pretty low.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to call ERIE...
  8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Some of the companies around here require 2 million in coverage, 1 million was the norm for so long. I guess things are just getting more expensive to replace but more than that, I just think everyone is sue happy and that is driving up insurance costs requiring us to purchase more and more all the time.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here for 1 million landscaping its about 1200$/year. For plowing I pay about $250 a month for 2 million which includes all of my landscaping covering.
  10. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

i was out mowing my own lawn a couple years ago and my mower kicked a piece of wood out through my dining room window. it flew right across my kids high chair and hit the wall on the other side of the house, with glass scattered all over. thankfully i was the only one home, so no one was hurt, but if this happened at a customers house and someone was injured, chances are they would sue your pants off. you can get $1 mil for spilling hot coffee at McDonalds, that's why you should have that much insurance. unlikely yes, but not impossible. just my opinion.