Why do some customers think that they are the only customer you have????

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by KENNY DEAN, Sep 15, 2010.

1. KENNY DEAN

KENNY DEAN LawnSite Member

My main ztr broke down 2 days ago and should be ready tommorow but I have 1 customer that is so worried about her grass that she has called twice and even mentioned that she might have to call someone else to come and cut it. She is the only 1 left that i didnt get rid of last year because she pays on time. ( I culled the sorry ones for good last season) I have mowed her lawn etc, for the past 8 years and havent missed a bi-weekly cut yet. She even called me on every other monday to make sure i didnt forget her, until this year I guess she figured i wasnt going to forget. Dont really have a question just thought it was kind of funny how ridiculous some customers can be. I guess she is old and lonely and needs somebody to bother.:hammerhead:

2. DitchDr

DitchDr LawnSite Senior Member

Mower in the shop, get the push mower out and take care of business. This job is defined by doing what you said you would, and doing it when you said you would

3. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

just do it tomorrow if the mower is ready tomorrow

4. KENNY DEAN

I sure will if it is not done by the end of the week. But what about the other 4 yards beside her. If your customer does not understand when you have a major equipment problem once in 8 years then they live in fantasy land. What if it was a 3 acre yard. You didnt ask about that. Are you going to push that Mr. energetic. I knew there would be 1 know it all to respond to the post. The point is people on this earth need some patience. My customers do come first but lets get real.:laugh:

5. KENNY DEAN

my thoughts exactly kilgoja. I believe the ditch dotor has that name for a reason. cant get out of it.

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

is this going to be another thread full of people whinning about what they don't like in this business.

if this bothers you that much to post a thread about, maybe you should consider a different line of work.

sorry if i'm not a complainer but it seems to me of all the things you shouldn't complain about the clients are the number one thing because they are the reason your in business. no clients-no money, no money-no business.

each and every client wants to be treated like they are the only one you service. i try and treat each client like this.

more importantly though it was already said. people want someone who will show up and do the job they said they would each and every week. no excuses. reliablity is a very important part of this business.

client don't care about your other clients and i don't blame them. if i hired someone to cut my grass i wouldn't give a damn what else they have going on. you show up when you say your gonna show up.

there's a thing called backup equipment or the old 21 incher. you don't just sit around and not work because your equipment broke. you find a way to get it done. use a 21 incher, go rent one, whatever.

7. klogan011

klogan011 LawnSite Member

I agree you must take care of your customers. I would recommend renting a mower to get the job done or if the yard can be push mowed go that route. I understand that you may only break even or even lose some money for the week but you took care of the customer. That customer will then stick with you and you can make more money on them later. Its a lot easier to keep a customer and make them happy than to find a new one.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You need spare equipment, mower,trimmer,blower. Its also good to have an extra truck.

9. KENNY DEAN

Thanks for the replies guys and agree with most everything you all have said. I also do not like to complain but just thought it was funny how she reacted. Her yard will be mowed by weeks end just like it has for the last 8 years. Just wanted to stir things up a little.

10. SuperPROlawnScalper

SuperPROlawnScalper LawnSite Member

where'd you take it to get fixed

mine is in the shop right now - exmark dealer
    they have a loaner ZTR
    they said to use it all i want, even was gonna let me keep it 24/7 till mine is done

but i take it back when i don't need it just cuz i'm more comfortable with it sitting in their lot instead of mine

if your shop doesn't have a loaner for commercial guys tell them to get one or find a new shop