why do some guys love the brown?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dr grass, Jun 30, 2002.

1. dr grass

dr grass Banned

I touched on this on another thread, but i didnt get any more responses. i was saying that ive been cutting the lawns 1/2 inch higher for going on 4 weeks now. my lawns still look great! still nice color on most of them. alot of other lawn cares in the area are knocking em down like it was still may! am i missing something here or am i the only one who like making money in my area? :p like i said b4, i can get another 2-3 weeks out of these yards when the weather finally does turn against us. this adds up to alot more in the checking account for me, than if i was wacking em down. the kicker about it to is the clients love it! they are very happy that their lawns still has good color and their neighbors look like a dirt field. again, am i missing something here?????

Shep

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

As dry as it is around here the ONLY thing that will keep a lawn green is water. It would not matter if it was cut at 10 inches it would not be green due to the total lack of water.

3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

We finally got some rain here in Southeast Texas this past week or so. Some of the lawns were getting a bit high. I saw some other lco's out cutting this weekend and it broke my heart...they were cutting the St. Augustine below 3". I doubt that those lawns will lok very good in one month. I am cutting at about 4" and the lawns are looking good. I try to spend some time with each customer to educate them on what is best for their lawn. Some listen, some don't. In particular, I do two lawns right next to each other. One says to cut it at the height that I think it should be, the other says they want it shorter. Its gonna be real easy to show the latter customer the benefits of mowing higher in about a month.