Why Do some hate Exmark???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMW Landscaping, May 23, 2013.

1. billythekid

billythekid LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a gravely and will continue to buy gravely. The dealer is right up the road, they have great service (for me atleast). Both exmark dealers around me were either horrible, didn't have parts, or are too far away to get to in a pinch. The next thing when comparing mowers, the electric start was about 500 more over the pull. start. My gravely had electric start and a bigger motor than the better tt 48. Park a TT and a ProWalk next to each other and see which one is built better. The gravely is built like a tank, some parts are probably overbuilt. Both my exmark and this mower clump when the conditions aren't ideal. The cut isn't that far off in my opinion. I had high lifts on my exmark, i'm putting high lifts on my gravely. In my opinion you put and high lifts on anything it will cut good.

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have 5 exmark with 52 ultra deck. I mowed all day in 2 inch rain invested grass with heavy drizzle all day. I put deck up one pin hole, and these machines mowed like a champ. We would have hardly any wet grass under deck as we scraped them down from each property. Normally I don't mow I that wet of conditions but just needed to on Saturday to stay on schedule and not be behind come Monday. I have deere, kubota and toro. Toro dealer left went exclusive exmark 3 years ago and not looking back. Scag is nice but nearest dealer is 45 minutes from me. I will run all day side by side to my competitors and there is no comparison.

3. yardguy29

yardguy29 LawnSite Member

in a way this thread is kind of pointless. everyone has there brands they like and some swear by the brands they use.

in the 8 years I've been in business I've owned and used nothing but toros and exmarks. never had a problem with the quality of cut, quality of machine itself or dealer service and support.

from all the properties I've seen cut by other brands of mowers there's no reason for me to switch to them. they look no better or worse than what the exmarks and toros put out.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Most sensible statement in the entire thread...

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

6. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just cut side by side with a scag walk behind today around 11 am, the grass was still wet because we had showers around 9am. I with my lazer had to double cut two rows and that was it. The scag lawn was so bad that they took the walk behind off and brought a riding scag with another guy with a back pack blower. The scag lawn looked a little thicker than mine but they had clumps galore and was a mess until the guy with the back pack went over the whole front, I never checked the back. Both of the lawns were cut one week ago on Friday. Someone is going to say BS, but I saw it. It was on Beaumont Rd Berwyn incase the scag owner sees this.

7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

For ga grass your right, but come up north and walkers leave little strips of uncut grass, not near as good i used them for 10 yrs and now i don't and very happy about it, less maintenance, bagging yuck, stripes are funny looking with walker, no comparison here. depends on your grass south verses north.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

You mean to tell me the slow moving, funny looking stripe, huge trailer space hogging walker is not the end all be all that the walker guys would like everybody to believe? :laugh:

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I am a gravely guy but I will say the 7Iron deck just might be the best cutting deck on the market today. JD hit a grand slam with the stamped deck. In our area it is very rare to see a JD mower but I have seen 15 or so over the years.