Why Do some hate Exmark???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMW Landscaping, May 23, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I have hundreds of pictures on LS of single cut lawns from spring to fall, dry and wet that prove decks can cut amazing in one pass. I have pics at ground level showing no stragglers. I love these guys that say I have 200 hours on a Scag and they suck. Or claim outrageous problems. I have also been doing this longer than I care to say and put way to many hours on my machines each year. I have owned Exmark and know very well how they cut and have stated it many times. In ideal conditions, no moisture, taking off 1/3 of the grass, not to thick you cant beat the cut. Any other factors forget it, double cut each lawn or clean up the clumps. Sorry but thats how it is in the northeast.

Exmark still dominates sales here. But their market share is dropping each year. People are realizing that their stubbornness is costing them money. I demoed different mowers for 3 months last year before I made my decision. And I didnt buy Scag...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL maybe they work well in the grass in your state But here they don't Fescue here you cut it 2'' tall and in 5 days it'll be 6-7'' tall
    To me they are a slow mower. In the right conditions they do leave a nice cut but dang they are slow.

3. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

Now you got my curiosity up gmlc. What mower did you get and specs?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. GMLC

I went with Gravely. Their customer service is second to none and the X-Factor deck is amazing. I just sold my last Scag with over 3000 hours! But dont get me wrong, I still compare all decks to the Velocity. There is a reason its the most copied deck in the industry.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Exmark dominates here to I was talking to one LCO and he said he like run something else but there no dealer close he dumb when it comes working on it. This guy breaks a belt and takes to dealer they put a new one on.

Think there 7 LCO runs Exmark mowers in my town
    1 LCO runs scag 2 running Dixie Choppers
    2 running JD
    1 running Hustler
    1 badboy

6. GMLC

Very good descriptions on both decks. I have done extensive reviews on both the Velocity and several of the Ultra Cut series decks over the years and have fine tuned both. You must of had a Scag lemon because I have personally had scags with 3000 hours, used a TT with over 5000 and have a dealer that has claimed 7000 on a TT.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

hate??? they are one of the best mowers made.... exmark, scag, hustler and bobcats I put all up at the best out there....

8. yardguy29

yardguy29 LawnSite Member

I fell off my seat laughing after reading that.

walkers have there place but there is no way on this green earth a walker will out perform all others on the market.

personally I think walkers are garbage but I realize they could have there place depending on location. in my neck of the woods the only thing there good for is sucking up leaves. beyond that I'd rather dump the extra cash into one of the other brands I have available to me than own a walker.

thank god I can still have my toros and exmarks. I have access to scag, walker and wright stander and I'm not fan of any of those 3 but I'd buy a scag or wright stander before coming home with a walker. hell I'd close up shop before ever coming home with a walker.

9. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought about this thread today as I went by a crew cutting a small park at about 10:00am. Guy on a wb tt blowing first pass in the road. Two other guys on top end ztrs blowing out clumps everywhere. I knew exmarks clump but my god really!! It wasn't even that wet or tall. I know for a fact this crew underbid a guy who did good work with scags. I might go by tomorrow just to see what it looks like. I'm hoping they tried to double or triple cut it. Also they dont even do a 3 point turn just push 1 lever one way and pull the other one the other way. Tear it up!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I would be willing to bet that they never clean their decks either, based on your assessment of how they are mowing... so there could be something to the "extra" clumping coming from the deck due to negligence.