Why Do some hate Exmark???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMW Landscaping, May 23, 2013.

1. yardguy29

yardguy29 LawnSite Member

I only use 3 point turns when it's wet, soft or thin turf.

otherwise it's zero turns and no tear up.

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Same here with the vantages and the cheetah I demoed
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I work today had to. Rained all morning we got 4'' of rain Stop at 1pm and at 3 hit my first job and I seen a LCO mowing with a Exmark and a Tiger was clumping bad.
    I thought about it I had get some mowing done going rain all week So I thought be good time to mow tall I had no clumps The LCO blowed there pass next to my lawn in my lawn I walk over jump there case.
    Once I got there clippings back in there lawn I notice they was cutting at least 2'' maybe shorter compared to my lawn I was at 3.5''. They was trying cut wet fescue to short.

Think if a person has no sense about wet conditions any mower will clump

On the 3 point turns I have to jump my guys a lot they get lazy and wont do them

4. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

100 percent true!! Just made me think of this thread that's all. Too many factors go into when mowing wet grass. Just riding by really doesn't tell you anything about a how a deck cuts. Could be lack of maintence, operator, or someone agreeing to bi weekly cuts when it should be every week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

All this talk about exmark clumping in the rain is very exaggerated. I cut 3 lawns in the rain today and it cut fine. A couple of clumps but no need for double cutting. One lawn was a little under 1/2 acre and there were 4 clumps and it was a steady rain. Now the old exmark trivantage deck was horrid in the rain or when it was wet out so I guess that kind of stuck with the name exmark. The reason I counted was I remembered this thread.

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the old Trivantage deck on my 1995 Lazer and it cuts wet grass better than the newest Ultra Cut I demoed last year. You might be thinking of the Triton deck, I heard their was a lot of problems with that deck.

7. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

No the trivantage was terrible for me, cut good dry but when it was wet I had to stop at the end of each pass, shut the blades off and let the grass fall out. I guess it all depends what kind of grass you are cutting.

8. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah you're probably right about the grass type.

9. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

How was the Trivantage deck? What were the pros and cons that you have noticed or were known for?

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i can't believe anyone would even think about double cutting ever. you guys would be out of business down here. are you gonna double cut a 3 acre yard? that's alot of wasted time and fuel and wear and tear on your equipment.