Why Do some hate Exmark???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMW Landscaping, May 23, 2013.

1. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

So... you left clumps on the lawn?? Because most people would have double cut to remove the clumps... hence, the Exmark double cut.

Nothing has been exaggerated. It's impossible to cut with an Exmark in the rain and NOT have a total mess... and a p!ssed off client.

I own and have owned ZTR's and WB's with tri-vantage, triton, and ultra-cut. I quit buying Exmark ZTR's because if there was even the slightest bit of dew... there were clumps.

There are advantages to Exmark mowers. But cutting in the wet is definitely not one of them.

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Guess the thread did little to convince me I placed and order for 2 new lazer x models about 8 hours ago. Can't wait to pick them up in a few weeks when he has the rest of my order put together.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

IDK about Exmark's Z's and I probably never will (way too expensive). But I have a TTHP 36" and it cuts pretty darn well in all but the wettest conditions. Out cuts my Toro Z quality wise. I would buy another Exmark WB again.

4. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know if you have you have problems reading but I just said I cut in the rain and my exmark lazer barely clumped no need to double cut. When I trimmed I just hit the 4 clumps with the trimmer which took 1 minute. I do take the throttle down a tad but still cuts fine.

5. dathorpe

Well shucks, I didn't convince Mr. Kelly. What do I do now with the rest of my life? LOL! I can only speak for myself, I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. This was a discussion and I was merely stating my preferences based on my experiences. You remind me of myself about five years ago - entire fleet was red and I swore by the Toro and Exmark name. Really, both mowers, Scag and Exmark have their advantages and disadvantages truth be told and both are, in my mind, top of the industry. For me, I need ZTR's that can cut very large areas very fast. For my application, the Scag TT wins hands down. I also need WB's that can cut small to medium yards very well. I run all Exmark for this application and I really believe this is where Exmark is the best. If I need to rake or blow out, it's not a big deal on smaller lawns but it's a money drain on large open areas.

Out of curiosity, what engine did you go with?

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

The 34 hp with efi and red tech on the 60 and the 38 hp with efi and red tech on the 72. Or in their current language which I do not care for the ecv940 and the ecv980

7. dathorpe

Two of the Tigers I bought this spring have the 29 Kohler EFI and they've been great 99% of the time. However, one of them has shut down on three separate occasions and it took about ten minutes to get it up again. The other was turned off as the driver stepped off the machine to blow off a walkway. When he hopped back on, she wouldn't start for about five minutes. I've spoke with the dealer and he claims it's the first he's heard of this. Just thought I'd mention it since you're getting Kohler EFI also.

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought $1200 21". And it's a peace of junk. So far the bolts that hold the motor on have worked loose. But before that the cover under the deck that covers up the pulleys came loose. The peace of rubber at the back of the deck fell off and was run over and chopped up. And now this morning the $&"! Blade feel off! VERY DISAPPOINTED! I wish now I'd looked for a used ferris.

9. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear the bad news. If I may ask, which 21" did you purchase?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Didn't read the entire thread so I may be repeating something already mentioned, but I wonder how much of the differences in cut quality (of ExMarks) can be directly related to variables such as operator experience, deck setup (pitch), or blade sharpness?

Last edited: May 31, 2013