1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Why do some MFGR's stick the Right Caster farther outward than the left?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve1, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Any idea or reasoning behind this? I know Deere does as well as a few others and I haven't read or heard of a reason why?

It looks a little odd but there must be a reason, isn't there?

See the pic below to understand my question...

797 hines rz.jpg
  2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

To prevent scalping on uneven lawns.
    (both front wheels go in a dip, blades hit ground)
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

could be to get more trim on the driver's side also.

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

to get the caster on the right side of the blade,so it will lift the strip the caster lays down - or you would allways have a high strip that will not cut.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

which side is the drivers side?

GEO :confused:
  6. wriken

are you serious, you don't know what side the driver's is, well let me explain it to you, looking at it, from the front, it's on your right, sitting on the machine, in a normal seating position it's on your left.
  7. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Uhh I think he was pointing out that the driver/operator sits pretty much in the center of ZTR mowers. Or maybe that to some of our readers, the driver's side may be the right side of the machine.
  8. wriken

I was using a car/truck type vehicle as an example, more commonly seen around here. The driver's side is usually the left side as your sitting facing the front tires.
  9. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well now you got me goin'....I want Toro is remodel my Z588E so it is a right hand side drive, not left! How inconsiderate of this company! LOL! No wander my stripes aren't straight, I'm driving the Z from the wrong side of the centre position, CRIKEY, this job just get harder and harder!

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

cleared it right up for me. thanks.

GEO :alien: