Why do some mowers stripe and others don't...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartslawnmain, Jul 30, 2004.

1. hartslawnmain

hartslawnmain LawnSite Member

What is it that makes one w/b stripe well and the next one not good or not at all. Looking at fixed decks, they all pretty much look the same but the difference is amazing. I have a great dane which cuts great but won't stripe. I see some Scags that leave a nice stripe. Is it blade set-up or something else?

2. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

High Lift blades stripe a lot better than gators, but thats just my .02

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

suck better than others....

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

To be 100% honest, I don't think a single one of us here actually truely knows the real answer to this question. Aside from stripe kits, every other explaination I have ever seen can be debunked.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Deck depth and blades.
    Not that difficult.....................................

Deck design does play a minor role.

6. deck rake can plaY a roll ..and deck design and the type of blades ..

7. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

8. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

its not the blades cuz one of my freinds has a bran new exmark 60' and he uses high lift blades on his mower and cant leave a stripe if life depended on it.. i got a 2001 ex mark and it leaves stripes with out stripe kit.. maybe i will call exmark and ask lol

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's not a mystery, it's mechanics.

Striping is merely the action of laying grass over in differing directions. The light stripes are going away from you. The dark stripes are headed toward you.

To get the maximum stripe you want blade lift in combination with a low deck rear. This is how Dixie Choppers achieve a good stripe with a "shallow" deck. What you want is for the back of the deck to push the grass over as far as possible.

It also helps greatly that you can cut the grass as high as possible because the longer the grass blade the better the stripe effect at ground level.

Baseball diamonds aren't nearly as well striped as they appear on TV and in photos. If you notice those shots are always taken from up above the field. The higher you can get the better the stripe. When you get down close to ground level the stripe effect diminishes greatly due to the short grass blade length.

As an example of this lay your best stripes on a lawn. Get a good mental picture of it. Then, if it hasn't rained, go back a few days later and look at those same stripes. I'd be willing to bet that they look ever better a few days later because the grass has has a chance to grow a little.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Richard's explanation is as plausible as any I've heard. My exmark and Deere both leave a slight stripe on some lawns, but none discernable on others, so the type of grass does make a difference. Other than that, I think he covers it.