Why do some of you think that you must discount a church?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, May 22, 2005.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

They have a lot of members that can share the cost so why should you take the hit. And why would you discount anybody. You are a business. What business discounts you.

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

are you pointing out a certain thread or just making a general assumption?

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

4. slow release

slow release LawnSite Member

I take care of a church & rectory and they pay the same as everyone else. Churches have more money than the average homeowner anyway so why should they pay less???

5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

We discount any non-profit organization and we have given $ to local park projects, done lower charge or gratis work for churches, we have sponsored many a ball team and rugby team. Many many reasons why, but top 4 in order of importance.

1) It is called Karma. Good stuff. :angel:
    2) It gets people thinking warm fuzzy thoughts about your business (Good public relations ).
    3) It sometimes gets your name in the paper or internet(Good Exposure).
    4) Sponsoring can also be cheap advertising and all of the above also.

6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Although it seems like a nice idea to give a church a discount, if you really want to do something nice for a church, do the lawn maintenance for your own church for free.

Church is a business and it is set up as such. Businesses have expenses and if they have grass, lawn maintenance is one of those expenses.

Not speaking of churches specifically, but what alot of people fail to realize is the difference between for-profit, non-profit, and not-for-profit. Most people say non-profit when they mean not-for-profit. The main difference between for-profit and not-for-profit is what the business does with their profits. For-profit businesses either pocket the profits or reinvest them but they have to pay full taxes on those profits. Not-for-profits get a substantial tax break but are expected to reinvest their profits for the betterment of the community in which they serve rather than pocket the profits.

Feel free to give not-for-profits a discounted rate if you must, but understand that depending upon the legal organization of the organization, and odds are that you are likely the only one taking the hit.

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Alot of them do . Where do you get you mulch stone drit plants grass seed you do get a discount dont you ??

8. mower_babe

That may be, but it does work for us. We have gotten alot of exposure and community support for it - not just churches, but Christian school districts, and veteran projects etc. It has really been a good thing that we started in the beginning when my step daughter was still in little league and we mowed the diamond at a discount and rolled free of charge, etc. Also, these are small communities, and this may not work in all places. Small town, USA.

9. mower_babe

I forgot to add that. That is true for us also. Pretty much where ever you go - contactor's discount.

10. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

something such as a church i think i would give them a break , Besides allot of people go there and if you do a good job and treat them fair u may get lots and lots of work through a word of mouth :waving: