Why do some people think we are flunkies?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by P&C Lawn Care, Oct 22, 2003.

1. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Why do some people think we are just uneducated poor fools who cannot get a better job than mowing grass? This really irks me. I personally have over 16 years in this business. I grew up on a farm and currently am attending Oklahoma State University for a hort degree with a 3.5 gpa. I also have a criminal justice degree. I may not know everything about every type of grass, flower, shrub or tree (I do know how to look them up in my books) but I do have a wealth of knowledge regarding "green" stuff stored in my head. Why are lawn guys not considered like a tradesman. Electricians, plumbers and mechanics get premium prices for their work, and in a lot of cases their tools and equipment cost much less than ours and require less maintenance. Is it because a home owner or businessman could get out and mow it themselves if they really wanted to? I guess most ordinary Joes just see a mower costing $100 or a weedeater for $50 at Wal-mart and don't understand that quality work requires quality equipment. It is funny how many people always have a question when they find out what you do, like "I have a plant that is doing this" or " Why did this die". My pet peeve is when some asks what can be done for this but does not want to hire anyone to do it for them.Always wanting free advice. Do they do this to electricians? or plumbers? We are professionals too.

2. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I THINK ALL THIS STARTED WAY BACK , I'M NOW 50 AND WHEN I WAS IN JR HIGH I CAN REMEMBER CUTTING YARDS FOR 3 TO 5 DOLLARS AND I THINK OLDER PEOPLE REMEMBER THOSE DAYS AND PASS THAT THOUGHT TO YOUNGER PEOPLE OF TODAY. LAWN MAINTANENCE HAS COME A LONG WAY BUT PEOPLE STILL DON'T SEE IT LIKE WE DO.

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said David... I agree 100% with your post. You posted the answer. Anyone can mow a lawn. It just takes a person who doesn't know how to do something, to realize that we are more than just "people cutting grass". Like you said, the real professionals can distunguish problems in turf grass, identify grubs and weeds, and know how to treat them. You need to tell people there is a fine line between people just cutting grass and real turf professionals. I think everyone on this site is a real professional because we talk about what we do and ask each other for advice. We are not just in this business to make money for video games or we wouldn't spend this much time posting here.

4. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

That is one reason to try and look more professional. Wear a uniform. Clean and polish your truck and equipment. People showing up in dew rags on their head, t shirts that say eat dirt, etc, do not contribute to this type of profesions image as anything but.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto lawnagent!
    First impressions mean everything, look act and sound professinal and your more likely to be treated professinally. And when thse ?? start I just tell the people we can set up an appointment and I'll take a look a Dr. can't diagnose without seeing a patient and I'm no diff. Set a price to go see what problem is if it gets that far and follow through, most the time when they hear there's a charge its over. And I an a lisc. electrician served apprenticeship and all, the funny part is turf work actually takes more knowledge, as elec. is all the same. And before I have a bunch of elec. telling me I'm wrong I mean you have NEC and local codes if you know them you can work anywhere becouse its all the same.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Just read a few posts by switchless (pete) you'll see why some people think "we" are "flunkies" :rolleyes:

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well at my mothers daycare there is a little boy that keeps telling me that i mow lawns because i didn't go to college.then he says im going to be a poor man because everyone has to go to college.his mother has money,but she is a real dumb*ss. she went to college and she dresses her kids in rags and gives them each half a sandwich for lunch.then her 6 month old was covered in sun burn this summer and she has no clue how he got so red so fast.thats why people like us have to do lawn care,pave a driveway,build a house for them.because there to stupid to do it themselves

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

ROFL, sad thing is I know people like that....

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know why so many assume this either.

With two college degrees and currently pursuing my masters, I cut grass because I like the work, the income, the flexible hours, working outside, . . . (and because I haven't graduated yet), although I will probably still do some LCO work on the side.

The bottom line is people who try to look down on me as an LCO have no idea I am more educated than themselves. But why should that matter?? If thinking I cut grass because I am uneducated makes them think they are better than me, maybe I should be thumbing my nose at them for not being able to read my mind.

Why can't people just treat others as they'd have done to them?

10. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Here's what I think - Sure most of US (lawn care bus. owners) may be educated, clean, able to hold a conversation etc. But what I actually see for the most part are the crews. The crews may all be college grads, but they look like losers. At least a lot of the ones around here do. Just as we might assume that garbage collectors are smelly and ignorant (some are some aren't), people with their noses up in the air don't get enough of a full view to get the complete picture.

All in all, who gives a C R A P what other people think. When someone giggles because they think it's funny that I am 41 and mowing lawns, I just let them think they're smart. Then I ask 'em how much they make per hour...