Why Do They Choose You?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sean Adams, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Assuming that pricing is not the ultimate deciding factor, what makes your prospects choose your company over the competition? In other words, what do you do to make sure you are the "heads and shoulders above the rest" choice?

2. deason

deason LawnSite Member

My stunning good looks! :laugh:

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Sean,
    I got started in residential (from golf course) work due to my being primarily: #1 Available, #2 Knowledgeable, & #3 Friendly.
    My philosophy has been pretty much of a good neighbor policy.
    However, after being in business for over a period of time, I have to echo other's sentiments. NEVER, EVER, EVER, give a discount - you sell yourself short if you do, and NEVER, EVER, EVER, speak bad about your competition - as you will bring yourself to a lower level. If you make a mistake, admit it; if you do good work, charge for it.
    As it stands, I have never advertised other than word of mouth.
    Since the Lord provides, who am I to say different?
    So, why do they choose me?
    Stunning good looks!
    Good Luck, Steve

4. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

In a recent newsletter to my clients I posed the same question in a survey. These are the responses I received:

1) DEPENDABILITY.

2) Attention to details.

3) Good communication and people skills.

4) Price.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The key to my business is that I am an owner/operator of a local business and my wife also helps out. The small family business is like the neighborhood store of the old days, just now in a truck.

I cater to a small clientel and for the most part don't have people that make price an issue. It is a consideration but I have kept customers by providing personal service even though my price is a little higher than others. (not the highest but higher).

My customers want to be able to have the work done and have any questions or concerns answered quickly. We basically offer the things people like, convenience and dependability with no hassles. They don't have to worry about having the lawn scalped by a college kid on break.

I have evolved from initially mowing to include add-ons that the customer requests. The whole package is a value to them. It is interesting to me that even though I dont offer any winter services, ALL my 3 season customers come back. I guess we are doing something right.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Mow Ed if price is not an issues then raise it $10 per cut and I bet you will start losing customers.

Dependability, quality or job is important and so is price.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

"........raise it $10 per cut and I bet you will start losing customers."

WRONG! If you are pricing your services to make a living giving an honest, personal, knowledgeable service, price is not an issue. When I went back to being solo, I told all clients there would be a 25% price increase, mainly to reduce client base. Not one person or business dropped me, I had to drop some of them. LOL.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey GroundKprs, if you didn't lose one customer then you must really had low prices to begin with. If your in a very competitive LCO area I don't see how you can raise it $10 a cut for residentual lawns and not lose customers.

9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The difference is: I'm out there to enjoy doing a good job. And I've taken the time to find a clientelle that appreciates a good job - people all over the economic spectrum, most of whom do not waste their money. But they understand and appreciate that you do pay for quality.

I'm not out there just to compete. LOL.

As far as my low rates, if I posted the price I get for mowing with a 21" LawnBoy, most people here would flame me for lying. ROTFLMAO.

If you're grubbing with the competition, price is important. When you move above that, price is lowest item that clients consider.

10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Long time reader, first time poster. After 7 seasons of residential mowing, and 135 weekly cuts (3 man crew), it was time to cut a few customers to save time, and to be more productive. I sent out a friendly notice explaining that due to the rising costs of business, work comp. etc, That we would no longer be able to provide service to lawns priced below X amount of dollars.

This notice went out to 25% of my customers. 2 customers cancelled. The same 2 who were always late on their payment, wanted it cut bi- weekly etc. I was glad to drop them.

The rest of the customers had no problem whatsoever. Many of them personally called to make sure that we would still be doing their lawn. I eventually had to drop a few to make the routes tighter.

I truly believe that in this business, if you provide Quality, Reliability, and present a professional image at all times. and have the right clients, price of your service usually ranks low on the list. Too many homeowners are sick of the people who lack these basic business skills.